Viña Tarapacá Ex Zavala came into being in the nineteenth century, in 1874, and was then named "VIÑA DE ROJAS" after its founder, Don Francisco de Rojas y Salamanca, a well-known businessman of that period. With fine vines imported from France, Don Francisco established the vineyard on the foothills of the Andes Mountains, planting grape varieties such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot for red wine, and Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon for white wine.
Later, under the ownership of Mr. Antonio Zavala, the winery became "Viña Zavala". When Antonio Zavala and his wife split up, she received the estate as part of the divorce settlement.
Mrs. Zavala´s lawyer at that time was Don Arturo Alessandri, known as the "Lion of Tarapacá". In recognition of Alessandris services, the estate was renamed "Viña Tarapacá Ex Zavala".
In 1992, when the Fósforos Group - an important Chilean holding engaged in agroindustry, forestry and trade - took control over the winemaking operations Read more »