SCHLOSS HALBTURN, the most important Baroque building in the Burgenland which once served as a hunting and summer residence for the Emperor. The birth of the Schloss Halbturn vineyard was in the Jois (Jungenberg). It was here that Count Poth established the first vineyards in the year 1214 by the purchase of 14 farms from the Hungarian Altenburg manor.
In 1960, the first vineyard was planted by Baron Paul Waldbott-Bassenheim in an old estate called Wittmannshof at the side of Schloss Halbturn.
In 2001 this traditional enterprise close to the Hungarian border was ambitiously restructured. On the initiative of Baroness Marietheres Waldbott-Bassenheim and under the management of Count Markus zu Kœnigsegg, the nephew of the owner’s family, no cost or effort was spared to make the Schloss Halbturn again one of the leading vineyards in the country. Altogether 100 acres of the 160 acres of the whole vineyard were cleared and replanted. In addition, the historic terraces on the Jungenberg were revitalised Read more »