On the 5th March 1926, thirty six vine-growers from Ingersheim and neighbouring villages were faced with serious economic problems; in order to benefit from their vineyards and the skills handed down throughout preceding generations, the vine-growers decided to join together in a show of solidarity by creating the Cave d’Ingersheim, better known today as the Cave Jean Geiler.
The name Jean Geiler was that of a remarkable thinker (1445 – 1510). His name has been adopted to refer to the Cave Vinicole d’Ingersheim and today is applied to the top level of quality wines produced by the Cave.
In the 1930’s, the Cave Jean Geiler only had a very limited capacity of 70,000 litres, so much of the production was sold in bulk.
The vine-growers, motivated by strong self belief, thus contributed to the development and the progression of their winery, while extracting the best from their vineyards and remaining loyal to their heritage.
– Description from