When, in the middle of the 18th century, Arnaud Ducasse bought a small house on the banks of the Gironde estuary from Jacques de Ségur, Seigneur of Lafite, he could hardly have imagined that this would be the start of a considerable estate that would remain in his family for almost three centuries.
Pierre Ducasse, a lawyer who was very keen on vine-growing, was to truly found the estate. He bought land and part of the "Bourdieu" of Grand-Puy, which lay within three parishes: Pauillac, Saint-Lambert and Saint-Sauveur, as well as three manorships: Lafite, Latour and Beychevelle.
Additional purchases and swaps then enabled him to extend his estates up to his death in 1797. His son inherited a full-blown estate, which was called Ducasse-Grand-Puy-Artigues-Arnaud and included 148 acres, of which almost two-thirds were planted with vines. Around 1820, he had the existing château built, on the site of his ancestors' house, facing the Gironde estuary.
His marriage with Jenny Ducase produced two children Read more »