Built at the end of the XVII century, Flaugergues is one of the so-called 'Follies', built in the countryside around Montpellier.
'Houses in the Foliage', they were the result of a new order of aristocracy, whose wealth came from their service to the King. Planted in the heart of rural domains, they are surrounded by magnificent gardens. They would also become the summer residences of the rich and famous of Montpellier during the XVIII century.
In 1696 Etienne de Flaugergues, an advisor to the court of Counts of Montpellier, bought the estate to which he would give his name.
Over the next 45 years he expanded and embellished the 'House of the Fields', giving it its distinctive touches. It would seem that the use and arrangement of the grounds around which Flaugergues was built, it's gardens, and the simple but well-groomed quality of the buildings, served as a role model for numerous 'Follies' in the region, these second homes of the Court advisors who wanted to live honourably in the countryside Read more »