Château Caronnes Ste. Gemme

The vineyard was first reported in 1648 when a local landlord, Denis de Mullet of La Tour StLambert rented it to a farmer in exchange for the wines produced. Caronne is derived from "Carona" the name of a local spring source, and Gemme a corruption of "James". In the middle-ages the locality was a parish on the grounds of a subsidiary to the Templar Headquaters at nearby Benon a few kilometers inland. Pilgrims on their way to Saint Jacques de Compostelle, having crossed the estuary from Blaye, would rest here before continuing their way across the Landes to the Spanish Border. The Parish was abolished during the Revolution and it is about this time that the first records of wine production at Caronne appear. In 1900 ownership of Caronne passed to Emile and Eugène Borie. The sons of Eugène would later cede their shares to their uncle and purchase Ch. Batailley and later Ducru-Beaucaillou while Emile's descendents would remain the sole owners of Caronne until this Read more »

« Previous   2 of 2

Photos for Château Caronnes Ste. Gemme

« Back to Château Caronnes Ste. Gemme Overview




View larger map



Best Wine Deals

  • $34.59
    26%off
    Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Red Rhone Blend Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Tradition
    Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Red Rhone Blend Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Tradition 2006
  • $27.79
    21%off
    Dr Loosen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
    Dr Loosen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese 2009
See More Deals »

Recent Forum PostsView all


Château Caronnes Ste. Gemme wine ratings and reviews






Snooth Media Network