In the year 1845 Muri-Gries was born, as Benedectine monks from Muri in the Swiss county of Aargau were forced to leave their monastery and moved to one in Gries, which had meanwhile been quitted. A new phase in the life of this building complex stretching along many centuries began then: the history of Muri-Gries.
With the arrival of the Benedectine friars from Muri in 1845 a new phase in the history of wine industry for the monastery in Gries started. They used to take their order rule “ora et labora” very seriously, even what concerned vineyards. On the turn of the 20th century the winery of Muri-Gries was bound to step in the outer world. Lots of loose wine first started being delivered beyond the Brenner border in several German speaking regions. Wine brands like St. Magdalener and Malvasia, Lagrein, Kretzer and Pinot Grigio were grown and pressed in old well-preserved cellars. A main turning point for the winery of Muri-Gries is the year 1968, as its self- made wine was first bottled within the monastery rooms. Loose wine continued to be sold for some more years but mainly for the market around Gries and Bolzano. However, a new quality oriented trading strategy got through and was successful. Since 1985 Read more »