+ Add Critic Score

Submit a Critic Score

Score:

Name of Critic:

Close

St. Francis Syrah Wild Oak 2005

Winemaker's Notes:

yrah is one of the most adaptable varietals, suitable for both warm and cool growing regions and both rocky mountainous and fertile valley floor soils. Wherever it is grown, Syrah dramatically expresses the personality of the terrior with its unique and variable flavor profile. In the 2005 vintage, 70% of the Syrah grapes were selected from our very own Wild Oak Vineyard, located on the fertile valley floor of Sonoma Valley. This fruit gives the 2005 Syrah its lush strawberry and mineral flavors as well as a soft, rich mouthfeel. The remaining 30% of the grapes are grown on our estate mountain-side Nuns Canyon Vineyard, growing high above the fog line on the Sonoma Valley side of Mount Veeder. This mountain grown fruit is first to ripen and is characterized by firm tannins and sweet blueberry and ripe black cherry flavors. All grapes were fermented separately in stainless steel tanks and were then aged in new, one and two year old oak (95% French , 5% American). We selected a high percentage of older oak barrels for this blend in order to allow the wine’s intense fruit flavors to shine.

Region: USA » California » Sonoma County

Vintages


+ Vintage
Color: Red
Varietal: Syrah
  • + My Wines

    My Wines

    Save in My Wines

    Add to Wishlist

    My Cellar

  • List It
  • Add Review
2.55 5 0.5
Average Rating Rate It Add
St Francis Wine Company Ltd:
  When Joe and Emma Martin purchased the 100 acre Behler Ranch Vineyard in Sonoma Valley in 1971, they never could have expected the success that their vineyard would achieve. After several years of making grapes for other wineries, they decided to start their own winery in 1979, and they have been producing quality wines ever since. They called the winery St. Francis Winery, named aft... Read more
  When Joe and Emma Martin purchased the 100 acre Behler Ranch Vineyard in Sonoma Valley in 1971, they never could have expected the success that their vineyard would achieve. After several years of making grapes for other wineries, they decided to start their own winery in 1979, and they have been producing quality wines ever since. They called the winery St. Francis Winery, named after St. Francis of Assisi, protector of the natural world, and in honor of the Franciscan order, thought to be the first to bring European grape cultivation to America. St. Francis currently has 600 acres under vine in Sonoma County, with many partnerships with other vineyards in the area, including Rockpile Vineyard, Amman Ranch, Leras Ranch, and Pagani Ranch. Each of their wines are produced from 100% hand-picked Sonoma fruit, but that’s not enough to produce such bold, full-bodied wines. It is the hard work of Tom Mackey, Director of Winemaking, and the other winemakers at St. Francis Winery & Vineyards that allows these great wines to be produced, year after year. Read less

Member Reviews for St. Francis Syrah Wild Oak

Add your review
Snooth User: John Andrews
361063,448
3.00 5
06/07/2009

Deep, rich color ... almost purple. Dark fruit in the noise and ripe red cherry, some plum, hint of pepper and medium finish. Nice syrah.


Snooth User: paulc
87634342
2.00 5
09/16/2008

Two glasses


External Reviews for St. Francis Syrah Wild Oak

External Review
Source: Astor Wines & Spirits
02/22/2008

St. Francis has created this premium Syrah from estate grown fruit. Packed with flavors of blackberry, blueberry, and spice. Great with roasted meats.



yrah is one of the most adaptable varietals, suitable for both warm and cool growing regions and both rocky mountainous and fertile valley floor soils. Wherever it is grown, Syrah dramatically expresses the personality of the terrior with its unique and variable flavor profile. In the 2005 vintage, 70% of the Syrah grapes were selected from our very own Wild Oak Vineyard, located on the fertile valley floor of Sonoma Valley. This fruit gives the 2005 Syrah its lush strawberry and mineral flavors as well as a soft, rich mouthfeel. The remaining 30% of the grapes are grown on our estate mountain-side Nuns Canyon Vineyard, growing high above the fog line on the Sonoma Valley side of Mount Veeder. This mountain grown fruit is first to ripen and is characterized by firm tannins and sweet blueberry and ripe black cherry flavors. All grapes were fermented separately in stainless steel tanks and were then aged in new, one and two year old oak (95% French , 5% American). We selected a high percentage of older oak barrels for this blend in order to allow the wine’s intense fruit flavors to shine.

Best Wine Deals

See More Deals

Syrah Top Lists







Snooth Media Network