+ Add Critic Score

Submit a Critic Score

Score:

Name of Critic:

Close

Sottimano Langhe Nebbiolo Basarin 2010

Winemaker's Notes:

The Langhe Nebbiolo is produced in the Basarin cru in Neive. It is a historical and prestigious vineyard abutting the Cotta cru, on the border between the zone of Neive and Treiso. The vines are very young, about 14-15 years old, and for this reason the grapes cannot yet express the richness of polyphenols, the aromas or the nuances that an important cru like this could have. Sottimano, always in favor of quality over volume, declassified from Barbaresco DOCG to Langhe Nebbiolo DOC. The fermentation and the maceration of the skins normally take about 12 days. No selected yeasts are used. The malolactical fermentation is completed in French barrels, where the wine remains for approximately 10 months. 25% of the barrels used for aging this wine are new, the remaining 75% have previously been used for up to 4 times. There is no filtering and no fining prior to bottling.

Region: Italy » Piemonte » Langhe

Vintages


+ Vintage
Winery: Sottimano
Varietal: Nebbiolo
  • + My Wines

    My Wines

    Save in My Wines

    Add to Wishlist

    My Cellar

  • List It
  • Add Review
2.72 5 0.5
Average Rating Rate It Add
Sottimano:
The Sottimano winery was founded in 1974 by Maggiore Sottimano; the first step was purchasing the cellar and the vineyard in the Cottá area, a very highly reputed area for Nebbiolo grapes. Since then, Mr. Rino Sottimano the owner has developed the estate by buying other prestigious vineyards: Currá, Fausoni, Pajoré and, more recently, Basarin. Currently, our family cultivate an average of 13 he... Read more
The Sottimano winery was founded in 1974 by Maggiore Sottimano; the first step was purchasing the cellar and the vineyard in the Cottá area, a very highly reputed area for Nebbiolo grapes. Since then, Mr. Rino Sottimano the owner has developed the estate by buying other prestigious vineyards: Currá, Fausoni, Pajoré and, more recently, Basarin. Currently, our family cultivate an average of 13 hectares and the production is divided into five “crus” of Barbaresco: Currá, Cotta, Fausoni, Basarin and Pajoré,one Dolcetto “Bric del Salto”, one Barbera “Pairolero” and one dry Brachetto , called “Maté”. The company produces an average of 60,000 bottles. Read less

Member Reviews for Sottimano Langhe Nebbiolo Basarin

Add your review
Snooth User: Jerel1957
1277811384
2.50 5
05/11/2013

Hold 2015-2020 -“Sweet red berries, crushed flowers and rose petalsare some of the notes that emerge from the 2010 Langhe Nebbiolo. This racy, perfumed Nebbiolo impresses for its finessed personality and fabulous overall balance. The pedigree and potential of this great Piedmont vintage come through in spades. Sottimano fans know the estate’s Nebbiolo is made from a plot in Basarin and could be technically sold as Barbaresco.” Wine Advocate, 91 Points @thewinebuyer-- Too young, not much fruit on the palate, tart grippy tannins that smooth out after some time in the glass. Will cellar for a couple years, try again in 2015.



The Langhe Nebbiolo is produced in the Basarin cru in Neive. It is a historical and prestigious vineyard abutting the Cotta cru, on the border between the zone of Neive and Treiso. The vines are very young, about 14-15 years old, and for this reason the grapes cannot yet express the richness of polyphenols, the aromas or the nuances that an important cru like this could have. Sottimano, always in favor of quality over volume, declassified from Barbaresco DOCG to Langhe Nebbiolo DOC. The fermentation and the maceration of the skins normally take about 12 days. No selected yeasts are used. The malolactical fermentation is completed in French barrels, where the wine remains for approximately 10 months. 25% of the barrels used for aging this wine are new, the remaining 75% have previously been used for up to 4 times. There is no filtering and no fining prior to bottling.

Photos

+ Add Image

Dietary Information: Organic


Best Wine Deals

  • $30.79
    23%off
    Château Sociando-Mallet Red Bordeaux Blend Haut-Médoc
    Château Sociando-Mallet Red Bordeaux Blend Haut-Médoc 2006
  • $31.99
    16%off
    Foxen Chardonnay Santa Maria Valley Block Uu Bien Nacido
    Foxen Chardonnay Santa Maria Valley Block Uu Bien Nacido 2011
See More Deals »






Snooth Media Network