+ Add Critic Score

Submit a Critic Score

Score:

Name of Critic:

Close

Paolo Bea Montefalco Sagrantino 2003

Winemaker's Notes:

A real artisan producer making organic hand-crafted wines. References in the archive of Montefalco, a beautiful Umbrian hill town (aren't they all?), document the presence of the Bea family in this region as early as 1500. This tiny estate is the classic Italian Fattoria, producing wine, raising farm animals for trade and home consumption and working the land to produce olives, fruits and vegetables. Paolo Bea, the senior member of the family, is the guiding force behind the production of these intensely pure wines, assisted by his son, Giuseppe, who farms the vineyards and Giampero who looks after the vinification. No herbicides or pesticides are used at Paolo Bea. He believes that wine is an expression of nature and looks forward to the differences in each harvest (hence the Rosso de Veo in 2002). The wines are produced in the traditional way; grapes are hand picked and bottled without filtration. Sagrantino is the predominant grape, covering 60% of the vineyard area. The remaining 40% is planted to Sangiovese and Montepulciano, with a small parcel planted to several white grape varieties. All grapes are harvested manually and the reds undergo an extensive cuvaison that lasts up to four weeks. Malolactic fermentation occurs in stainless steel. The Sagrantino is amazing: the grapes are left to macerate for 39 days. It has a dark purple hue with a full, powerful nose of raisined berries and smoke. The palate unfolds an array of blackberries, currants, cinnamon and clove, is mouth-filling, warm and dense.

Vintages


+ Vintage
Winery: Paolo Bea
Color: Red
Varietal: Sagrantino
  • + My Wines

    My Wines

    Save in My Wines

    Add to Wishlist

    My Cellar

  • List It
  • Add Review
3.99 5 0.5
Average Rating Rate It Add
Paolo Bea:
As a child, I learned this craft from my father. Our history and tradition is the source of our knowledge and inspiration. Today, my family is here with me, all working together. Our roots in Montefalco trace back to the 1500's, as documents in the village archives attest to. Through passion sustained and encouraged by my sons, Giuseppe and Giampiero, and also by the irreplaceable presence of M... Read more
As a child, I learned this craft from my father. Our history and tradition is the source of our knowledge and inspiration. Today, my family is here with me, all working together. Our roots in Montefalco trace back to the 1500's, as documents in the village archives attest to. Through passion sustained and encouraged by my sons, Giuseppe and Giampiero, and also by the irreplaceable presence of Marina, my wife and mother of my children, our family has come to appreciate each other in more profound ways, each day relishing the fruits of our labor at our table. With each passing year, I better understand our land, respecting and caring for it... and at the end of each year extract from it a wine which is totally unique, continually developing, improving, and sustaining our health. With an ever growing conviction, we practice, discover, and appreciate natural winemaking methods that exclude the use of chemicals in the vineyard and artificial stabilizing techniques in the winery. Each season is a new discovery, a chance to apply and evaluate knowledge we have gained in previous years. Read less

Member Reviews for Paolo Bea Montefalco Sagrantino

Add your review
Snooth User: John Andrews
361063,418
4.00 5
08/31/2008

lots of red fruit ... great tannins ... long lasting finish but not overpowering. would be great over the next few years.


Snooth User: Eric Guido
92549181,712
4.00 5
10/15/2011

The 2003 Paolo Bea, Sagrantino di Montefalco showed a gorgeous deep red crimson color in the glass. As I poured an aroma of candied cherry filed the air. With a little time in the glass the rich fruit transformed into a Burgundian expression red fruit with earth and clay. Dusty dried flowers filled out the bouquet and as a few taster notes, hints of sausage, which gave the nose a savory edge. The palate followed suit with flavors of raspberry, coffee, chocolate liquor and old cedar. The finish was long with staying dark chocolate and red fruit.


Snooth User: sidenote
8871922
4.00 5
09/19/2008

Solid - a bit tannic, but lots of black fruit, tobacco, coffee notes. Not as good as 2001 vintage, but a strong wine.


Snooth User: Barberolo
721003,140
5.00 5
06/24/2008

Five glasses



A real artisan producer making organic hand-crafted wines. References in the archive of Montefalco, a beautiful Umbrian hill town (aren't they all?), document the presence of the Bea family in this region as early as 1500. This tiny estate is the classic Italian Fattoria, producing wine, raising farm animals for trade and home consumption and working the land to produce olives, fruits and vegetables. Paolo Bea, the senior member of the family, is the guiding force behind the production of these intensely pure wines, assisted by his son, Giuseppe, who farms the vineyards and Giampero who looks after the vinification. No herbicides or pesticides are used at Paolo Bea. He believes that wine is an expression of nature and looks forward to the differences in each harvest (hence the Rosso de Veo in 2002). The wines are produced in the traditional way; grapes are hand picked and bottled without filtration. Sagrantino is the predominant grape, covering 60% of the vineyard area. The remaining 40% is planted to Sangiovese and Montepulciano, with a small parcel planted to several white grape varieties. All grapes are harvested manually and the reds undergo an extensive cuvaison that lasts up to four weeks. Malolactic fermentation occurs in stainless steel. The Sagrantino is amazing: the grapes are left to macerate for 39 days. It has a dark purple hue with a full, powerful nose of raisined berries and smoke. The palate unfolds an array of blackberries, currants, cinnamon and clove, is mouth-filling, warm and dense.

Photos

+ Add Image

Dietary Information: Organic


Best Wine Deals

See More Deals






Snooth Media Network