+ Add Critic Score

Submit a Critic Score

Score:

Name of Critic:

Close

Murrieta's Well the Whip Blend Livermore Valley 2014

Winemaker's Notes:

The Whip 2014 is an elegant and balanced wine, fruit driven with a hint of toasty oak. While this is a Chardonnay and Semillon led style, each grape varietal has a purpose in our blend that I hand select to add elements like structure, texture, floral notes, and acidity. This unique wine showcases juicy fruit flavors of white peach, pear and melon with bright acidity and a touch of sweetness that creates a smooth and creamy finish. Vineyard: Our wines are exclusively sourced from our estate vineyard in the Livermore Valley. The Whip 2014 is blended from grape varieties that come from various historic blocks on our estate existing in slightly different soil make-ups, aspects, and conditions. We farm our vineyard and plant varieties according to these attributes to ensure all varieties are planted in the optimal location for them to grow best. Winemaking: The varietals in this wine’s composition were fermented individually at cool temperatures in stainless steel to maintain the full fruit expression of the vineyard. The wine was aged sur lie for 12 months with 30% of the wine aged in used neutral French Oak barrels to enhance the wine’s texture and mouthfeel. The other 70% was aged in stainless steel. Harvest: We began by harvesting the Sauvignon Blanc the first week of September. The last component of the blend, Orange Muscat, wasn’t harvested until the middle of October. The 2014 vintage continues as part of several vintages in a row of drought seasons. Viticulturally, we received acceptable rains and supplemented available ground water with drip irrigation. The combination of less water and warmer weather brought us lower yields from the vineyard and earlier harvest dates (some of the earliest on record!). While the drought continued to be diicult, these conditions actually brought us excellent quality of concentrated fruit due to these factors.

0 5 0.5
Average Rating Rate It Add
Murrieta's Well:
With a deeply rooted history, unsurpassed terroir and rich winemaking heritage, Murrieta’s Well is one of California’s original treasures. The historic winery dates back to 1883 with the planting of imported cuttings from historic French chateaux and the building of a gravity-flow winery into the hillside. In 1990, Philip Wente and Sergio Traverso teamed up to revive the 92-acre property, and s... Read more
With a deeply rooted history, unsurpassed terroir and rich winemaking heritage, Murrieta’s Well is one of California’s original treasures. The historic winery dates back to 1883 with the planting of imported cuttings from historic French chateaux and the building of a gravity-flow winery into the hillside. In 1990, Philip Wente and Sergio Traverso teamed up to revive the 92-acre property, and since then, the two have been crafting Estate blends that highlight the best attributes of the terroir. Visit us to discover unforgettable blends, try our exclusive tasting room-only wines, or to enjoy one of our vineyard tours. Read less

The Whip 2014 is an elegant and balanced wine, fruit driven with a hint of toasty oak. While this is a Chardonnay and Semillon led style, each grape varietal has a purpose in our blend that I hand select to add elements like structure, texture, floral notes, and acidity. This unique wine showcases juicy fruit flavors of white peach, pear and melon with bright acidity and a touch of sweetness that creates a smooth and creamy finish. Vineyard: Our wines are exclusively sourced from our estate vineyard in the Livermore Valley. The Whip 2014 is blended from grape varieties that come from various historic blocks on our estate existing in slightly different soil make-ups, aspects, and conditions. We farm our vineyard and plant varieties according to these attributes to ensure all varieties are planted in the optimal location for them to grow best. Winemaking: The varietals in this wine’s composition were fermented individually at cool temperatures in stainless steel to maintain the full fruit expression of the vineyard. The wine was aged sur lie for 12 months with 30% of the wine aged in used neutral French Oak barrels to enhance the wine’s texture and mouthfeel. The other 70% was aged in stainless steel. Harvest: We began by harvesting the Sauvignon Blanc the first week of September. The last component of the blend, Orange Muscat, wasn’t harvested until the middle of October. The 2014 vintage continues as part of several vintages in a row of drought seasons. Viticulturally, we received acceptable rains and supplemented available ground water with drip irrigation. The combination of less water and warmer weather brought us lower yields from the vineyard and earlier harvest dates (some of the earliest on record!). While the drought continued to be diicult, these conditions actually brought us excellent quality of concentrated fruit due to these factors.

Photos

+ Add Image

Best Wine Deals

See More Deals

Sémillon Top Lists







Snooth Media Network