+ Add Critic Score

Submit a Critic Score

Score:

Name of Critic:

Close
Aabalat USD 36.90 750ml
Wine Commune Auctions USD 16.95 750ml

Mondavi Chard Napaus-California 2008

Winemaker's Notes:

This Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon opens with intense aromas of juicy ripe plums, black cherries and blackberries. The flavors expand to include black tea, licorice and fresh bay leaf. Broad, ample tannins remind us that this is an Oakville wine and the experience concludes with a lengthy, persistent dark cherry finish.

Robert Mondavi Winery:
  The Robert Mondavi Winery was founded in 1966 after a family split with the Charles Krug Winery, which had been founded by Robert’s father.  After heading out on his own, Robert settled on land in Napa valley, and in particular the famed To Kalon Vineyard in the Rutherford district. The original plot in To Kalon Vineyard was only 12 acres, but today there are 450 acres und... Read more
  The Robert Mondavi Winery was founded in 1966 after a family split with the Charles Krug Winery, which had been founded by Robert’s father.  After heading out on his own, Robert settled on land in Napa valley, and in particular the famed To Kalon Vineyard in the Rutherford district. The original plot in To Kalon Vineyard was only 12 acres, but today there are 450 acres under vine. The Robert Mondavi Winery also includes the Wappo Hill Vineyard, which is a 400 acre plot in the Stags Leap District of Napa Valley. Within a year of its inception, the Robert Mondavi Winery proved to be a true pioneer, not only with the establishment of his winery but also by introducing and popularizing the use of French oak barrels for wine, European wine techniques, and the bottling of varietal wines. Robert Mondavi Winery only uses French Oak barrels for storing wine, and his influence and success led to the practice’s prevalence. Among Mondavi’s greatest successes one would have to count the creation of the Fume Blanc moniker for Sauvignon Blanc as well as the introduction of his benchmark Napa Valley Reserve Cabernet. Today Robert Mondavi’s legacy is carried on under the watchful eye of his wife who works with the current winemakers Genevieve Janssens, Gustavo Gonzalez, and Richard Arnold to ensure that today’s Robert Mondavi wines deliver the elegance, appeal, and character that Robert had intended. Read less

External Reviews for Mondavi Chard Napaus-California

External Review
Source: WineExpress.com
11/25/2011

Selected #20 on the Wine Spectator Top 100 Wines for 2011! The Robert Mondavi Winery in Oakville is surrounded by the famous To Kalon Vineyard with its acres of old Cabernet vines up to 35 years of age. That's what makes their Oakville Cabernet so special. 86% of the grapes come from that vineyard, with the remaining 14% coming from nearby benchland vineyards with the same kind of gravelly soil and low-yielding vines. Scoring 94 points the Wine Spectator said "A supple, graceful, yet potent and engaging young Cabernet, the proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove. Shows intense, minty bay leaf and dried currant and berry flavors that unfold gracefully, picking up a nice minerally edge as well as tannins that are firm yet graceful and refined. Drink now through 2020." Limited!



All Prices

Shipping to:

This Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon opens with intense aromas of juicy ripe plums, black cherries and blackberries. The flavors expand to include black tea, licorice and fresh bay leaf. Broad, ample tannins remind us that this is an Oakville wine and the experience concludes with a lengthy, persistent dark cherry finish.

Best Wine Deals

See More Deals






Snooth Media Network