Marilyn Wines Merlot Napa Valley 2007

Winemaker's Notes:

On June 1st 2006, Marilyn Wines celebrated two decades of winemaking history with the release of the twentieth vintage of Marilyn Merlot. Beginning in 1985 as a playful idea, bringing together the iconic image of Marilyn Monroe and some of Napa Valley's finest Merlot wine, Marilyn Merlot has itself become a legend and is now a much sought after and collectable wine. Each vintage of Marilyn Merlot bears a unique label design featuring a different photograph of Marilyn Monroe. The 2007 vintage Marilyn Merlot is a blend of 76% Merlot and 24% Cabernet Sauvignon. The additional flavors and structure provided by the Cabernet Sauvignon is a positive attribute in character and ageing ability. The annual addition of 33% new oak barrels each year gives the desired aromas of vanilla and toasty oak for more complex wine aromas and flavors. It has soft and ripe fruit flavours of plum, cherry and a hint of sage with supple tannins. The wine tastes a bit spicy and has that mouth-watering quality, a great attribute for accompanying food. Grapes for this wine are sourced from our longtime growers with vineyards in Oakville and Yountville, in the very heart of Napa Valley. 88% of the fruit comes from the Yountville Vineyard and the remaining 12% from the Beckstoffer Vineyard. Marilyn Merlot is a versatile wine and easily accompanies steak, lamb, venison, a variety of cheeses and red berry desserts.

  • + My Wines

    My Wines

    Save in My Wines

    Add to Wishlist

    My Cellar

  • + List It
  • + Critic Score

    Submit a Critic Score

    Score:

    Name of Critic:

    Close
2.98 5 0.5
Average Rating Rate It Add
Marilyn Wines:
Marilyn Wines traces its origins to 1981, when a small group of friends started making wine at their home near St. Helena, in Napa Valley. One evening in 1983, over dinner and a bottle of homemade Merlot, the concept of "Marilyn Merlot" was born. The wine enjoyed a good deal of popularity around the valley and was often donated to charity auctions and given as Christmas gifts. In 1985, the pla... Read more
Marilyn Wines traces its origins to 1981, when a small group of friends started making wine at their home near St. Helena, in Napa Valley. One evening in 1983, over dinner and a bottle of homemade Merlot, the concept of "Marilyn Merlot" was born. The wine enjoyed a good deal of popularity around the valley and was often donated to charity auctions and given as Christmas gifts. In 1985, the playful idea and the fine wine that bore its name led to the limited production of Marilyn Merlot for sale to the public. Over the years, continuing acclaim from critics, collectors, and lovers of fine wine have led to the production of Marilyn Cabernet, Norma Jeane wines, the Velvet Collection wines, and our eighteenth vintage of Marilyn Merlot. Marilyn Wines holds an exclusive agreement with the estate of Marilyn Monroe for the use of the name and the images. The royalties paid are distributed according to Marilyn's will to Anna Strasberg who helps support the Lee Strasberg Theater Institute and to the Anna Freud Foundation in London, which has set up a special child treatment center called the Monroe Young Family Center. Read less
Suggested Recipe Pairing presented by
Layered Rice Pudding

RiceSelect's fragrant Jasmati® is blended with eggs, milk and fall's favorite spices, cinnamon and nutmeg, to create a delicious rice pudding, which is layered on top of fluffy cream cheese and abuttery pecan crust. Pairs well with a bold, tawny port with flavors of dried fruits, nuts, and spices.

View Recipe

Member Reviews for Marilyn Wines Merlot Napa Valley

Add your review
Snooth User: kevsipe
701626222
0.00 5
01/27/2013

12/16/2011 - PATRICKM04 WROTE: 89 Points Gave as a gift and my roommate opened at dinner. Originally bought for the label, but was surprised. The wine looks Garnet colored. It smells like Blackberry, Red Currant, Black currant (cassis), and Light toast. It tastes like and Red Currant. The body is Medium. The wine is textured Juicy. The wine finishes Short. Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Comment Options 11/26/2011 - SNAFF WROTE: 88 Points Well done, with dusky berries and a solid tannic core. A metallic hint keeps me from rating it higher.


Snooth User: Pymonte
82716185
3.00 5
08/20/2008

Interesting wine. Lacks complexity and depth of older, bigger merlots, but that's the point. It's young and vibrant, with flavors of unripe mango and cherry, but lacks the body and tannins of more mature merlots. Needs to air out for a few hours to really show what it can do.



All Prices

Shipping to:

On June 1st 2006, Marilyn Wines celebrated two decades of winemaking history with the release of the twentieth vintage of Marilyn Merlot. Beginning in 1985 as a playful idea, bringing together the iconic image of Marilyn Monroe and some of Napa Valley's finest Merlot wine, Marilyn Merlot has itself become a legend and is now a much sought after and collectable wine. Each vintage of Marilyn Merlot bears a unique label design featuring a different photograph of Marilyn Monroe. The 2007 vintage Marilyn Merlot is a blend of 76% Merlot and 24% Cabernet Sauvignon. The additional flavors and structure provided by the Cabernet Sauvignon is a positive attribute in character and ageing ability. The annual addition of 33% new oak barrels each year gives the desired aromas of vanilla and toasty oak for more complex wine aromas and flavors. It has soft and ripe fruit flavours of plum, cherry and a hint of sage with supple tannins. The wine tastes a bit spicy and has that mouth-watering quality, a great attribute for accompanying food. Grapes for this wine are sourced from our longtime growers with vineyards in Oakville and Yountville, in the very heart of Napa Valley. 88% of the fruit comes from the Yountville Vineyard and the remaining 12% from the Beckstoffer Vineyard. Marilyn Merlot is a versatile wine and easily accompanies steak, lamb, venison, a variety of cheeses and red berry desserts.

Photos

1 2 3 4 5 6

+ Add Image

Best Wine Deals

See More Deals »

Merlot Top Lists








Snooth Media Network