Drumsara Pinot Noir Ventifacts Block 2009

Winemaker's Notes:

Fruit bins are delivered from the vineyard to the winery. They are held overnight to take advantage of the natural overnight cooling. The whole bunches enter the de-stemmer / crusher that is adjusted to allow for 90% of the berries to be crushed to release the juice and the remaining 10% to remain whole. This slows down the fermentation process to enable better extracts and colour. The juice and whole berries enter the fermentation tanks at less than 8 deg C. This slow and gentle soaking process occurs over 2 days and allows the extracts and colour to release from the skins into the juice. After 2 days the juice is permitted to warm up and at this point yeasts are introduced. This is known as primary fermentation where all the sugars begin to turn into alcohol. We have allowed 10 days for this process to occur. Proceed to post fermentation maceration in order to extract tannins and to give structure to the wine. The length of maceration depends on the daily tasting when it starts to extract some bitterness before it is pressed off. This maceration might be between 4 days. Total time on the skins was 16 days. The juice is pressed off and transferred into French oak barrels. Secondary fermentation takes place in the barrel with bacteria naturally reducing the juice acid levels. For our cooperage we have selected 100% French oak, 30% new, 70% 1-2 years old. In March after 10 months in the barrel, the juice is lightly filtered and fined if needed. At this point it is made cold stable to precipitate the harmless tartrate crystals out before bottling. We ride a delicate balance between aggressively trying to remove all the tartrates and gently removing most of them. We have elected the gentler approach, which retains the best flavors. You may find some tartrates remain in your bottle – we refer to them as “ice diamonds” and they are perfectly natural and enjoyable to taste.

  • + My Wines

    My Wines

    Save in My Wines

    Add to Wishlist

    My Cellar

  • + List It
  • + Critic Score

    Submit a Critic Score

    Score:

    Name of Critic:

    Close
4 5 0.5
Average Rating Rate It Add
Drumsara Wines:
Our Central Otago Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris and Pinot Rose, all hand harvested from our estate vineyard, provide a smooth flavorsome mouthful of relaxation and enjoyment. Our wine is infused with ancient glacial mineral deposits in our soil, flavored by the extreme Central Otago climate and then delicately crafted into wines of substance and suppleness by our experienced winemaker. Family, frie... Read more
Our Central Otago Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris and Pinot Rose, all hand harvested from our estate vineyard, provide a smooth flavorsome mouthful of relaxation and enjoyment. Our wine is infused with ancient glacial mineral deposits in our soil, flavored by the extreme Central Otago climate and then delicately crafted into wines of substance and suppleness by our experienced winemaker. Family, friends, food, wine and the enjoyment of life - that's what Drumsara means to us. Fackebook: http://on.fb.me/btK3pP Read less

Member Reviews for Drumsara Pinot Noir Ventifacts Block

Add your review
Snooth User: Edward Matheson
7346479
5.00 5
Vintage: 2004 09/09/2008

Gold Medal Winner - 2006 Starwine International Wine Competition, New York, USA. Bronze Medal Winner - 2005 NZ International Wine Show and 2006 International Cool Climate Wine Show - Vic, Australia



Tasting Notes:

A very complex nose of dark cherry, savoury notes of vanilla, rosemary, dried herb and tobacco. Big tannic structure, but ripe and round, supple mouth feel. Very sweet and long finish on plum and earthy character. Whao!

Fruit bins are delivered from the vineyard to the winery. They are held overnight to take advantage of the natural overnight cooling. The whole bunches enter the de-stemmer / crusher that is adjusted to allow for 90% of the berries to be crushed to release the juice and the remaining 10% to remain whole. This slows down the fermentation process to enable better extracts and colour. The juice and whole berries enter the fermentation tanks at less than 8 deg C. This slow and gentle soaking process occurs over 2 days and allows the extracts and colour to release from the skins into the juice. After 2 days the juice is permitted to warm up and at this point yeasts are introduced. This is known as primary fermentation where all the sugars begin to turn into alcohol. We have allowed 10 days for this process to occur. Proceed to post fermentation maceration in order to extract tannins and to give structure to the wine. The length of maceration depends on the daily tasting when it starts to extract some bitterness before it is pressed off. This maceration might be between 4 days. Total time on the skins was 16 days. The juice is pressed off and transferred into French oak barrels. Secondary fermentation takes place in the barrel with bacteria naturally reducing the juice acid levels. For our cooperage we have selected 100% French oak, 30% new, 70% 1-2 years old. In March after 10 months in the barrel, the juice is lightly filtered and fined if needed. At this point it is made cold stable to precipitate the harmless tartrate crystals out before bottling. We ride a delicate balance between aggressively trying to remove all the tartrates and gently removing most of them. We have elected the gentler approach, which retains the best flavors. You may find some tartrates remain in your bottle – we refer to them as “ice diamonds” and they are perfectly natural and enjoyable to taste.

Dietary Information: All-Natural

Closure: Stelvin

Aged 10 months in French Oak.

Notes: 100% French oak; Cadas, Damy, Saury 10 Months

Wine Specs:

Alcohol: 13.8% pH: 3.7
Sugar: .5 grams per liter Total Acidity: 5.4 grams per liter

Best Wine Deals

See More Deals »

Pinot Noir Top Lists








Snooth Media Network