Chateau Ste. Michelle Syrah Columbia Valley 2008

Winemaker's Notes:

• Ripe grapes were picked during the warmth of the day to start fermentation quickly, then crushed, destemmed and fermented for 7-8 days. • A combination of maceration techniques were used to bring out Syrah’s lush, concentrated character and minimize harsh tannins. • Approximately 80% of the wine made using pumpover technique, where the juice was pumped over the cap twice daily to extract color, aromas and flavors. • The remaining 20% of the wine was made by either gently punching down the cap for more rounded tannin extraction or fermented in a rotating tank to produce a more fruit-forward character in theb wine. • For the first time, the Columbia Valley Syrah was co-fermented with Viognier to produce a brighter and softer style of Syrah. • Aged for 18 months in American (16%) and French (16%) oak barrels, 32% new.

  • + My Wines

    My Wines

    Save in My Wines

    Add to Wishlist

    My Cellar

  • + List It
  • + Critic Score

    Submit a Critic Score

    Score:

    Name of Critic:

    Close
3.37 5 0.5
Average Rating Rate It Add
Chateau Ste. Michelle:
  You’d be hard-pressed (just like the grapes!) to find a more influential winery than Chateau Ste. Michelle. It’s Washington State’s oldest winery, getting its start when Pommerelle Wine Company and the National Wine Company merged in 1954 to form the American Wine Growers. From there, they created a premium line of vinifera wines in 1967 called “Ste. Michelle ... Read more
  You’d be hard-pressed (just like the grapes!) to find a more influential winery than Chateau Ste. Michelle. It’s Washington State’s oldest winery, getting its start when Pommerelle Wine Company and the National Wine Company merged in 1954 to form the American Wine Growers. From there, they created a premium line of vinifera wines in 1967 called “Ste. Michelle Vintners,” under the direction of Andre Tchelistcheff, which is where Ste. Michelle really took off. Their first vines were planted at the now-legendary Cold Creek Vineyard in Eastern Washington in 1972. When a French style chateau was built in Woodinville by Ste. Michelle Vintners in 1976, the winery finally became known as Chateau Ste. Michelle. The terroir is very important for Chateau Ste. Michelle. Columbia Valley isn’t just important because they have over 3,500 acres under vine there - they love the land, and they even helped to make it recognized as an American Viticulture Area (AVA). Columbia Valley produces more Riesling than any other American region, and Chateau Ste. Michelle leads that charge as the leading North American Riesling producer. Chateau Ste. Michelle is known for its award-winning Riesling, Chardonnay, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon, but it didn’t become great magically. They actually have two separate wineries, one for making whites, and another for making reds, which allows them to have complete control of the process. In fact, they’re so serious about the difference that they have dedicated winemakers for each color. While Bob Bertheau is their head winemaker who oversees all wine, Joshua Maloney oversees only the red wines, and Wendy Stuckey cares for the white. This allows Chateau Ste. Michelle to consistently create world-class wines that never fail to surprise judges. Read less

Member Reviews for Chateau Ste. Michelle Syrah Columbia Valley

Add your review
Snooth User: carter crazy
78108028
4.00 5
06/04/2011

Four glasses


External Reviews for Chateau Ste. Michelle Syrah Columbia Valley

External Review
Source: The Wine Buyer
01/21/2012

White pepper spice aromas lead to rich black cherry and blackberry jam flavors. This is a soft, lush and jammy style of Syrah with a lingering coffee, brambleberry finish.



Tasting Notes:

The Columbia Valley Syrah is a soft, ripe Syrah with ripe berry fruit aromas and flavors with hints of vanilla and brown sugar spice. The 2008 Syrah was co-fermented with Viognier for an even more accessible and fruit forward style of Syrah. This is an enjoyable, easy-to-drink red.

• Ripe grapes were picked during the warmth of the day to start fermentation quickly, then crushed, destemmed and fermented for 7-8 days. • A combination of maceration techniques were used to bring out Syrah’s lush, concentrated character and minimize harsh tannins. • Approximately 80% of the wine made using pumpover technique, where the juice was pumped over the cap twice daily to extract color, aromas and flavors. • The remaining 20% of the wine was made by either gently punching down the cap for more rounded tannin extraction or fermented in a rotating tank to produce a more fruit-forward character in theb wine. • For the first time, the Columbia Valley Syrah was co-fermented with Viognier to produce a brighter and softer style of Syrah. • Aged for 18 months in American (16%) and French (16%) oak barrels, 32% new.

Wine Specs:

Alcohol: 13.5% pH: 3.91
Total Acidity: 0.5 grams per liter

Best Wine Deals

See More Deals »

Syrah Top Lists








Snooth Media Network