• ST: 91

    Stephen Tanzer Score

    91

    Close
  • WA: 94

    Wine Advocate Score

    94

    Close
+ Add Critic Score

Submit a Critic Score

Score:

Name of Critic:

Close
R & B Wines Ltd GBP 50.00 750ml
USD $
Bert & Joep Dielen EUR 79.20 750ml
USD $

Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape Blanc 2004

Member Review by Supersnobs:

This white wine is composed of 80% Roussanne and 20% Grenache. After picking the grapes and the fermentation of the juice, 30% aged in new oak barrels. The remaining 70% is aged in large wooden Foudres. 2004 seems to be a white wine to the old side, but a wine of this level can easily several years to mature in the bottle and are even benefit from. In the glass, the deep dark golden color is the first thing you notice about this hit from the southern Rhone region. The smell of the wine is characterized by mature tones, intensity and is very typical of a white wine from the illustrious Chateauneuf-du-Pape. We find in the fine fragrance notes of almond paste, apricot, honey and a little tray of orange mare. If the bottle open for some time are showing flowers and a small key from the glass timber up. There is also a slight oxidative tone observed. This is not at all disturbing and just adds a nice element to the wine. In the mouth the wine has a wonderful balance between crisp acidity and a high concentration of flavor. The aftertaste is long and intense. A beautiful specimen of a white Chateauneuf high flavor intensity, beautiful fresh tones and brilliant complexity. Definitely a beauty of a wine from this area. The wine is lovely to drink now, but has half hour to open. Our advice is to consume this wine in 2016, then it will be best. 93/100 Supersnobs.com

Add winemaker's notes
Chateau de Beaucastel:
In 1321, under the reign of Pope John XXII, four barrels were brought from the papal cellar in Avignon to be filled with wine in Châteauneuf. Subsequently, the Popes increased their vineyard holdings in the region and the papal wine gained in fame. The Beaucastel family were living in Courthezon by the middle of the sixteenth century. In 1549 "Noble Pierre de Beaucastel" boug... Read more
In 1321, under the reign of Pope John XXII, four barrels were brought from the papal cellar in Avignon to be filled with wine in Châteauneuf. Subsequently, the Popes increased their vineyard holdings in the region and the papal wine gained in fame. The Beaucastel family were living in Courthezon by the middle of the sixteenth century. In 1549 "Noble Pierre de Beaucastel" bought "a barn with its plot of land extending to 52 saumées at Coudoulet". Later, the manor house that we know today was built here and you can still see the arms of the Beaucastel family sculpted in stone in one of walls of the drawingroom. The Beaucastels were among the more notable families of this little town and in 1687 Pierre de Beaucastel, in recognition of his conversion to Catholicism after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, was appointed "Capitaine de la ville de Courthezon" by Louis XIV. The letter from Louis XIV, also signed by Colbert, to Pierre de Beaucastel is still in our possession. Two centuries later at the time of the phylloxera, the owner of Beaucastel was Elie Dussaud, a companion of Ferdinand de Lesseps who built the Suez Canal. In 1909 Pierre Tramier bought the property and Beaucastel then passed to his son-in-law, Pierre Perrin, a scientist who considerably increased the vineyard holding. His efforts were continued by Jacques Perrin until 1978... Today the torch is carried by Jean Pierre and François, sons of Jacques. But Marc, Pierre, Thomas and Matthieu, who represent the fifth generation, are ready to pursue this fabulous family history. Read less

Member Reviews for Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape Blanc

Add your review
Snooth User: Supersnobs
1018695144
4.00 5
01/23/2012

This white wine is composed of 80% Roussanne and 20% Grenache. After picking the grapes and the fermentation of the juice, 30% aged in new oak barrels. The remaining 70% is aged in large wooden Foudres. 2004 seems to be a white wine to the old side, but a wine of this level can easily several years to mature in the bottle and are even benefit from. In the glass, the deep dark golden color is the first thing you notice about this hit from the southern Rhone region. The smell of the wine is characterized by mature tones, intensity and is very typical of a white wine from the illustrious Chateauneuf-du-Pape. We find in the fine fragrance notes of almond paste, apricot, honey and a little tray of orange mare. If the bottle open for some time are showing flowers and a small key from the glass timber up. There is also a slight oxidative tone observed. This is not at all disturbing and just adds a nice element to the wine. In the mouth the wine has a wonderful balance between crisp acidity and a high concentration of flavor. The aftertaste is long and intense. A beautiful specimen of a white Chateauneuf high flavor intensity, beautiful fresh tones and brilliant complexity. Definitely a beauty of a wine from this area. The wine is lovely to drink now, but has half hour to open. Our advice is to consume this wine in 2016, then it will be best. 93/100 Supersnobs.com


External Reviews for Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape Blanc

External Review
Source: JJ Buckley Fine Wines
07/20/2011

Rich and creamy, with an array of floral, tropical fruit and mineral notes that race through a long, stony finish. Drink now through 2009. 350 cases imported. -JM Wine Spectator. A Proprietary Blend wine from Rhone in France. 2004 Chateau Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc 750ml



All Prices

Shipping to:


Best Wine Deals

See More Deals






Snooth Media Network