Candido Salice Salentino Rosso Riserva 2001

Member Review by duncan 906:

I bought this wine from the website www.bidforwine.co.uk/auctions/show/48208 for £6.Salice Salentino is an Italian DOC originally created in 1976 for red wines [though whites and roses are now included] from around the town of Salice on the Salento peninsular [the heel of Italy].Candido is a large [385 acres] family concern now owned by by the brothers Alessandro and Giacomo Candido.The wine consists of 85% Negro Amaro,a thick-skinned and dark grape native to southern Italy.The name roughly translates as 'bitter black'.The other 15%consists of Malvasia Nero,the red member of the Malvasia grape family which originated in Greece.I started my bottle the other night with a plate of pasta and Bolognese and I was impressed.There was a lot of a blackcurrant or cherry style fruit there and the tannins were noticeable without being intrusive and gave it structure The bottle was over 20 years old but it still tasted fresh,fruity and with a lot of flavour.Overall I would say this was a lovely bottle of excellent quality and was very good value for money

Add winemaker's notes
Region: Italy » Puglia » Salice Salentino

Vintages


+ Vintage
Color: Red
  • + My Wines

    My Wines

    Save in My Wines

    Add to Wishlist

    My Cellar

  • + List It
  • + Critic Score

    Submit a Critic Score

    Score:

    Name of Critic:

    Close
4.2 5 0.5
Average Rating Rate It Add

Member Reviews for Candido Salice Salentino Rosso Riserva

Add your review
Snooth User: duncan 906
4252741,711
5.00 5
Vintage: 1990 09/09/2013

I bought this wine from the website www.bidforwine.co.uk/auctions/show/48208 for £6.Salice Salentino is an Italian DOC originally created in 1976 for red wines [though whites and roses are now included] from around the town of Salice on the Salento peninsular [the heel of Italy].Candido is a large [385 acres] family concern now owned by by the brothers Alessandro and Giacomo Candido.The wine consists of 85% Negro Amaro,a thick-skinned and dark grape native to southern Italy.The name roughly translates as 'bitter black'.The other 15%consists of Malvasia Nero,the red member of the Malvasia grape family which originated in Greece.I started my bottle the other night with a plate of pasta and Bolognese and I was impressed.There was a lot of a blackcurrant or cherry style fruit there and the tannins were noticeable without being intrusive and gave it structure The bottle was over 20 years old but it still tasted fresh,fruity and with a lot of flavour.Overall I would say this was a lovely bottle of excellent quality and was very good value for money




Best Wine Deals

See More Deals »







Snooth Media Network