It's a great time for Snoothers to be thinking more locally. We're constantly improving the site and recently have added the ability to search by zip code. Now you can get recommendations from stores in your area. I thought it would be a good time to go through the search features in a bit more depth to get a better idea of what's possible. I hope you'll tell us how you're using Snooth in the comments!
1. Start big and refine. Snooth works for finding very specific wines, but let's assume you're in a store looking for a recommendation. I know that I would probably start with a general idea about what I'd like, and ask someone to help me narrow it down. Snooth can function much the same way. For example, let's say I'd like to buy a White Wine .
2. What's your price range? Going back to my store example, the clerk would probably then ask you to select a price range. Generally I like to stick around 8-20 dollars so let's use the slider to create that.
3. Food pairing? Are you going to have this wine with food? Sometimes that can change the recommendation, so let's go ahead and say that we're going to have this white wine with cheese . Here I went ahead and typed "with cheese" directly in the search box. Simple.
4. Location, location, location. At the time of this writing I'm now looking at thousands of results for White wines good with cheese between 8 and 20 dollars. Whew! Now it's time to buy. First, I need to know which wines are available for me to purchase because some stores might not ship to me. To do that, I need to log in. Once I do that, I'll see a link at the top of the screen where I can click to "Add a Merchant".
Here I can select specific merchants I want to buy from. But for now, I want all merchants that can ship to me in the US, so I'll select USA in the dropdown and rerun my search. Now I can read reviews, choose wines I would like to buy, and click through to a merchant to make the purchase.
5. But I want it now! If you're not in a rush, I'd recommend the above method. But sometimes, you need to get the product this moment and from a store close to you. Luckily, Snooth has the ability to search around a specific zip code. Simply find the dropdown in the refine tools, add the zip code and re-search.
I hope this has been helpful. Happy Snoothing!
Snooth Manual Part III
- Blog comment by Dan, Jul 29, 2008.
Hey Snooth team, the food pairing option is awesome. If I can ask a geeky question, how do you do that ? Meaning, how does the search work on the back end ? Do you have a suggested food pairing for a wine that has been added to the detail ? Can users input their food pairing ideals with their wine reviews ? Exciting stuff. keep up the good work.
- Reply by Mark Angelillo, Jul 30, 2008.
@Dan -- We use the tags extracted from the user reviews to generate the food pairing suggestions. We wholeheartedly encourage you to add food pairing suggestions to your reviews. It's very helpful for other Snoothers and I know it helps me when I go back over my reviews later on.
If you add the food pairings as tags below the review, like this:
Chicken, Salmon, Salads
You can be certain those terms will be extracted correctly and attached to the wine.
- Reply by Philip James, Jul 30, 2008.
Thanks Dan - we actually had the food pairing since we launched last june! However...its getting a lot better as we add more data, so you're forgiven for not knowing.
I guess Mark's guides are proving useful then.