Prompted by the invitation from David Long of David Arthur Vineyards, after a few hours of sleep and some cleaning up, I ventured down to Bellaggio. I found Olives and simply said (as instructed) "I am with David Arthur", and was directed in. I looked around and didn't see David, but the room was full of people dressed to the nines mingling, drinking, nibbling hors d'oeuvres and some dancing to the music played by the DJ.
They had three large tables set up with a pourer at each and a large selection of wines. I decided since I was there, I'd mingle (crash, depending on your point of view) and sample some wines. Great food, and some amazing wines being poured. Somehow I managed to put the list of what I tasted into my phone. I think this was about all of them. Full reviews were done on each, so see my reviews if interested. It's a shame they had so much to choose from, so I only got a sampling. I tasted:
- 2006 Domaine Alain Chavy Puligny-Montrachet
- 2006 Domaine Chante-Perdrix Chateauneuf Du Pape (amazing!!!)
- 2006 Kistler Dutton Ranch Russian River Valley Chardonnay
- 2006 Patz & Hall Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay
- 2006 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Artemis
- 2007 Holdredge Pinot Noir (large format bottle)
- 2007 Loosen Urziger Wurtzgarten Riesling Spatlese
- 2006 Shafer Merlot Napa Valley
- 2007 Robert Biale Black Chicken Napa Zinfandel
- 2005 Chateau D'Issan Margaux
- 2006 Vine Cliff Oakville Cab (very nice!!)
- 2005 Pahlmeyer Jayson Red
- 2004 Marimar Estate Dona Margarita Vineyard Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
- 2007 Sea Smoke Gratis Chardonnay
- 2005 Ovid K1.5 Experiment Napa Red Blend
All in all a spectacular excursion through some great wines. I believe I walked by Robin Leach. I didn't know anyone, but made friends with the pourers for sure. Great night. Again, thanks David Long for the invitation!!
Saturday Winemaker Tastings Part 3
- Reply by dmcker, Mar 3, 2010.
Pretty nice list of wines, and sounds like a long day but a pleasurable one. Bet you slept OK Saturday night... ;-)
Would be nice to pull links to the wines and their tasting notes into these posts. Wonder if Mark et al. can facilitate that????!
- Reply by Philip James, Mar 3, 2010.
Vegas - thanks for the report!
Linking the wines automatically would be neat - I doubt its a trivial project though.
- Reply by madmanny, Mar 4, 2010.
I love these stories. I have found that wine has led to some of the most serendipitous and wonderful experiences of my life.
- Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Mar 8, 2010.
What a nice line-up. Looks like you had some solid wines htere.
So is this a typical day in Vegas?
- Reply by VegasOenophile, Mar 9, 2010.
Nope, that was about as atypical as it gets! I am anxious for the Wine Spectator Grand Tour on April 24th, but I am debating now that $200 entry to drink those amazing wines, but I will lkely be going to Carneros and Napa the weekend before and that'll cost too. ouch!