This one looks very cool for those of you in or near the Capital:
From our friends at "Out of Site Wines"...
FREE Tasting of Robert Sinskey Wines This Wednesday Evening at Out of Site Wines; Everyone Is Welcome!
Not To Be Missed! Very Special Event.
[Ed. Note #1, ChipDWood: FREE. It's frickin' FREE.]
214 Dominion Road NE
Vienna, VA 22180
(click the link for the location)
- Wednesday evening, October 20 - Meet Eric Southern from Robert Sinskey Vineyards, one of Napa Valley's premier organic and biodynamic grape growers and winemakers. There will be three FREE 30-minute sessions with a presentation and tasting - 6:30, 7:00, and 7:30 pm. Please email us at email@example.com or call us at 703-319-9463 to reserve your spot, stating which session you wish to attend and the name of each person in your party. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- Learn about what it means to be certified organic and biodynamic
- Find out what's so special about Carneros, the growing region that runs along the southern end of Napa and Sonoma Valleys just above San Pablo Bay
- Taste one striking white and four sumptuous reds from cool climate estate vineyards
Eric will be discussing and pouring tastes of five wines:
- 2009 Abraxas White. 47% Pinot Gris, 23% Riesling, 17% Gewürztraminer, 13% Pinot Blanc. Fermented in stainless steel; no malolactic fermentation.
- 2008 Pinot Noir Carneros. Elegance of cool climate Pinot aged for 10 months in 30% new French oak barrels.
- 2007 Merlot. 100% Merlot aged for 20 months in 35% new French oak barrels. Only 54 barrels made.
- 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon Vandal Vineyard. Fruit from volcanic soils on a ridge rising above the Carneros fog.
- 2006 POV Red. From the three classic Bordeaux grape varieties-Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Cabernet Sauvignon. Aged 18 months in 30% new French oak barrels.
[Editor's note, ChipDWood: Brief video about the interesting elements of an organic and what I think is a fascintaing (albeit it a bit politically correct, 'in the parlance of our times' as the Dude would say) approach to not only making wine- but running a wine-making busines...]
All five wines will be available by order at special prices at the conclusion of each session.
Michael and I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday for this special tasting."
Steve, On-Site Owner"
~End of event note.
As a personal note (and clearly one that does not represent each and every opinion of anyone affiliated with snooth.com, I might powerfully add) I believe that while socially the move to such "Biodynamic" means of production and adherences to such "Demeter controlled and sanctioned practices" is in many cases more pop culturally believed than based in the world of actual science, and more "religious" than generally ackowledged: I LIKE to know that there are people like Mr. Sinskey who is pushing the envelope regarding what can be done, successfully, to bring the truly 'healthy' and sensical elements of such practices to the fore.
If I lived in the area, I would most definitely attend this event. Particularly regarding its price tag.
Robert Sinskey tasting and "talk about" in DC area...
- Reply by napagirl68, Oct 20, 2010.
Well, Chip, I have to chime in here because I am a big Sinskey fan, both of the gifted winemaker and his gifted chef of a wife! If you ever visit their tasting room on Silverado Trail, especially in summer, you will see Maria Helm Sinskey's squashes, pumpkins, etc, etc, all growing up gorgeous trellises, you will see abundant herbs and veggies, and best of all, you will taste some great wine, paired with some great small bites! Maria's gorgonzola stuffed dates are yummy, and I have made them for parties. The wines are wonderful... I love some of the Cabs... and the Pinots are fantastic as well. I always stop here when going through the Valley.
And I highly recommend Maria's book:
Yes, and organic and sustainable too! LOVE, LOVE this place. I PRAY and HOPE they do not sell out... please do not sell out!!!!!
- Reply by kpage828, Oct 20, 2010.
Hate to miss the tasting, I was at the winery a few weeks ago & loved it, but have a prior engagement :(