Advertisement


 


Wine Talk

Snooth User: nw711

Broke College Student Wine Novice Looking for Affordable Sweet Red Wine

Posted by nw711, Feb 9, 2011.

I really have very limited experience with wine and until recently had only had riesling. A few months ago I had a glass of a sweet red wine at a dinner for work and loved it, but I was unable to get the name. I am looking for a budget-friendly sweet red wine. Any ideas?

Replies

8
549
Reply by Girl Drink Drunk, Feb 10, 2011.

Sweet red wines are not commonly made, nor available in the US, at least not quality products.  You may want to try Italian Lambrusco or Brachetto (both are sparkling reds).  There are inexpensive options for both that will, on average, be much better products than sweet red table wine.

0
1
Reply by cellarat, Feb 10, 2011.

Yes the best way to get the  biggest bang for your buck is to create your own sweet red try a moscato or late harvest riesling using about 80 to 90 percent in a glass then touch off the rest of the mixture about 8-10% with a hearty red like a cab or merlot you can design the taste to your own liking 

11
12
Reply by Warmspirited, Feb 11, 2011.

I agree with both previous commenters and fancy Cellarat's idea for blending your very own table wines, creating a unique sweet red blend.  Also, you can try Barefoot Sweet Red as well as one of my classic favorite's, Riunite Lambrusco, both selling for under $10 per bottle.  Another sweet red that I think tastes awesome is Red Electra by Quady winery.  It's sweet enough to be considered a dessert wine, yet has a slight sparkle that will tickle those sweet taste buds. 

11
12
Reply by Warmspirited, Feb 12, 2011.

Addendum:  I just thought of another rather sweet wine to try, which is Mogen David.  It is quite sweet, I must warn you, but the taste of this wine is so delicious.  If you find the sweetness too overwhelming, either place an ice cube in your glass and sip or simply add a bit of seltzer water to your glass to taste and enjoy.  Hope this helps!

41
2517
Reply by outthere, Feb 12, 2011.

Apothic Red Winemakers Blend - Sweet red wine for $9

Not my style but it's extremely popular.

8
549
Reply by Girl Drink Drunk, Feb 12, 2011.

Is Mogen David even wine?  I mean, they make MD 20/20.  ;)

0
2700
Reply by gregt, Feb 12, 2011.

And Thunderbird!  What ever happened to Thunderbird!  Or was that Gallo??

GDD - I think MD and Manischewitz and Kedem are made from concord grapes and pasturized.  They also have a rabbinical blessing and you know those rabbis are all such astute wine critics. . .

A better place to look albeit not by much, would be to look for some wines from Georgia.  If there's any kind of Russian community, there's probably a liquor store that stocks some of those.  And some of the Greek wines are pretty sweet too. But at least they won't be boiled.  And they'll be made from wine grapes for the most part.

Again tho, we have the question we had with the MD - if it be wine, do it be wine you want to drink?

8
549
Reply by Girl Drink Drunk, Feb 12, 2011.

It definitely do not be "wine" I want to drink.

11
12
Reply by Warmspirited, Feb 12, 2011.

As I was doing my research on Mogen David, I was wondering the same thing since the company also makes MD 20/20.  I just think that one has to find their favorites depending upon their taste and mood and simply drink what is enjoyable to them. 

I used to l-o-v-e Arbor Mist until I just discovered that it contained artificial flavors and was considered more of a wine 'beverage' than an actual authentic wine.  Now, I won't even touch a bottle of Arbor Mist, lol.  However, if I ever find it enjoyable again, I don't plan to let a label stop me from savoring those artificial flavors, lol. 

6
6
Reply by cheyenne2584, Feb 16, 2011.

I've tried Easley's Raggae Red wine and it is quite delicious... really sweet though.


Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
116 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
62 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
60 posts

Categories

View All





Snooth Media Network