Hi fellow snoothers,
I posted a topic on Bottle shock, after opening a great bottle of wine I had just gotten, that tasted "off", dead finish, etc. Even the food I had with it in the past tasted off. SOOO, I chalked it up to bottle shock (since it wasn't corked or 2nd ferm). Well, today, food has been tasting odd. Then I opened some different wine tonite, and THAT tasted bad too! And then I remembered... I made pesto Sat nite, and was munching on the pine nuts, which I love. However, a few years ago, after munching on pine nuts, I got the most bitter taste when I ate ANYTHING that lasted for abt 2wks. I looked it up on the net, and stumbled across pine nuts as a culprit.
So there you have it. It seems that, since my last bitter experience with pine nuts, there have been more and more reports of this. It doesn't seem to be a toxin, just an odd sensitivity in some people. I guess I am one of them. No good wines for me until my taste comes back :-(
Bottle shock wasn't the problem... it was pine nuts!!!
- Reply by zufrieden, Mar 12, 2010.
Great revival of the pine resin flavored wine. I admit to loving the stuff in the appropriate environment; a small taverna in Attica, perchance? It is also cheap, convivial and best in its traditional form - strongly resinous in flavor.
But don't worry: I don't compare it to anything serious in the wine domain. Not even sake... :-)
Have a good weekend!
- Reply by ONUMello, Mar 13, 2010.
Interesting... I just had a salad containing pine nuts and the wine I had tasted fine. That being said, I've had some very rancid pine nuts before and I could see that throwing things off. The 2 weeks seems a bit long for taste buds to be affected, but I'll take note.
- Reply by zufrieden, Mar 13, 2010.
Just don't try peanuts.