Wine Talk

Snooth User: Lindy Hemsley

'99 Morey-Saint-Denis - drink or keep

Posted by Lindy Hemsley, Jun 1, 2013.

I am leaving London for a location-independent warmth-seeking lifestyle. Drinking up as much of the cellar as I can because it could be a few years before we get back to the UK.

Does anyone have a thought on '99 Jadot Morey-Saint-Denis: should I drink before I go or hold it. How long might it run?

Cheers.

Replies

Reply by JonDerry, Jun 1, 2013.

Lindy,

This should be in a great place right now...so I'd say you might as well treat yourself with a send off in style. Let us know how it drinks if you could.

Too bad you won't be in Los Angeles, would love to try a Morey with 10+ years of age. Foxall and I are looking forward to trying a Lignier '05 next week.

PS - Just checked and only found 1 retailer in the states selling it for $212.00

Reply by Lindy Hemsley, Jun 1, 2013.

Thanks Jonderry. You have nicely confirmed what I wanted to do all along! Would definitely share if you were nearer, love to show off my cellar to the appreciative.

Having Camille Giroud's '04 Gevrey-Chambertin right now. Drinking nicely. There is some of the  herbal quality of that year that some don't like but it's mild and appealing to me. Glad I didn't take Berry Bros & Rudd's advice when I bought it to keep until 2018. Don't think it will make that.

Thanks again and enjoy the Lignier.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Jun 2, 2013.

All depends on how long you are going to be gone, but really no need to wait on that.  I chide others for drinking their reds (and sometimes whites) too soon, but that seems like plenty to me.  We're not talking Barolo, for heaven's sake. It might improve, but it's not likely to be unready at this point. 

So now JD has to decide on the companion to that Lignier:  2002 Lequin Santenay Passe Temps (bad CT scores, but both raters drank it young) or 2007 Magnien G-C Les Echezaux.  (Not the vineyard in Vosne Romanee that DRC made famous, this one's in Gevrey Chambertin, but it's still a special, if young, bottle.) 

Reply by JonDerry, Jun 2, 2013.

I hear '07's are drinking well Fox, let's go for the Magnien!

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
86 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
66 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
64 posts

Categories