Introduce Yourself

Snooth User: brm4620

21 Year Old Newbie!

Posted by brm4620, Aug 24, 2011.

Hey everyone!

I'm a relatively inexperienced wine drinker. I just turned 21 about two months ago. I drank a little bit of wine before that, but not much, and I don't think I really thought about it too much. Does anyone have any advice on learning more and developing my taste? I was in a restaurant the other night, and I was totally lost on where to even start when it came to just ordering a glass!

Replies

Reply by EMark, Aug 24, 2011.

Welcome to this wonderful world, Newbie.  Rest assured you can get a lot of advice and information here on Snooth.

My first word of advice is to just jump in there and try anything.  If you like it, look for some more or ask around what would be similar.  If you don't like it, then move on to something else.

Do not worry about rules.  Feel free to enjoy what you like.

With that, here are some guidelines (they are not rules).

• White wines are generally "lighter" than red wines.  By that I mean that they have more delicate flavors than reds.
  • Here is an old saw:  Drink white wines with white meat and red wines with red meat.  The rationale here is that, generally, white meats have more delicate flavors than read meats.  So, you don't want to overwhelm your wine with the big flavors of something like a rack of lamb.  Similarly, you don't want to overhelm a dover sole entree with a big red Rhone wine.  Of course it all gets more complicated when you consider any sauces that are added to your protein.  That being said, my wife drinks white wines with just about everything.  It works for her.  So, who's going to say she's wrong?
  • In your restaurant scenario, if you want to start of with a glass, and you don't know, yet, what you want for your entree, I would suggest you have a white as an aperitif.  If they have sparkling wine (e.g., Champagne), go with that. 
  • Also in a restaurant, feel free to ask the server or manager, or, if they have one, sommelier (wine steward) for guidance.  You have to give them some help though.  For example, "I'm looking for something that is light and refreshing," or "What would you suggest that would complement the pasta?"  However, if on trying their recommendation you don't particularly care for it, look for something else.

Also, there are tons of web sites you can visit and books (I'm an old guy and get quite nostalgic about the printed word.) you can read to learn about the different grapes that are used,the different regions, and the different producers.  I would suggest you jump in and see what you like. Please come back and tell the Snoothers  how you're doing.  Tell us what you've tried and how you liked it.

Have fun.  There is no test on any of this.

Reply by duncan 906, Aug 25, 2011.

The only way to learn is to try different wines and make a note of what you thought of them[for example writing a review on Snooth] and then googling them to learn a little more.Happy drinking

Reply by 1 jayjay, Aug 25, 2011.

dont be shy and just give it a try

when you find one you like find another similar and give that a try and so it will go on and take up more of your time but its a great way to spend your time (and money)

Reply by ScottLauraH, Aug 25, 2011.

EMark gave some great ideas.  My best advice is drink wine to learn about wine.  The more you drink, the more you learn about what you like, the flavors, the nuances and what pairings you prefer. 

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
65 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
58 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
52 posts

Categories