Wine & Travel

Snooth User: Really Big Al

2017 Solar Eclipse Road Trip to Douglas, Wyoming

Posted by Really Big Al, Sep 4.

Sandra and I had a wonderful four thousand mile road trip in August to view the 2017 solar eclipse in totality at Douglas, Wyoming.  Check out our web page and see what it's like to drink bourbon on the Kentucky Bourbon trail, go up into the St. Louis Arch, see Carhenge, the Devil's Tower, Sturgis, Mount Rushmore, Chicago's Field Museum, and the Phipps Conservatory / Botanical Gardens in Pittsburg.

Yes, there was wine on this vacation.  Several nice bottles are documented for your viewing pleasure.

Replies

Reply by rckr1951, Sep 4.

Good set of pics and comments - enjoyed purveying through the web site.

Reply by Really Big Al, Sep 4.

Thanks RC.  This Friday we fly to Norway for that Viking Homelands cruise.  The retired life.

Reply by EMark, Sep 4.

Al, the pics from your trip are great.

Chicago is just a great town.  The Field Museum is fantastic.

I have been participating in a conversations with people in my high school class, lately.  (The realitiy is that I did not know any of these people in high school, but it is a reasonably sociable site.)  It turns out that one of the gals is about to take a Viking cruise to Norway and Iceland and I don't know where else.  Do you think this is the same cruise that you are about to take?

Edit

Here is her itinerary.  Is this the one you're on?

I'll be taking off again in a few days--- yes, it's another cruise.  We're heading to Norway for a Viking Ocean Cruise.   We'll be starting in Bergen, Norway, then heading across the Atlantic, stopping in (Lerwick) Shetland Islands, (Torshawn) Faroe Islands, (Reykjavik) Iceland, (Nanortalik) Greenland and eventually ending up in Canada.  

Reply by Really Big Al, Sep 4.

EM:  That is another Viking Ocean Cruise.  Our cruise is in the Baltic region.  The link for her cruise is close to what you describe.  I know our link is correct, plus we extend a few more days to Oslo where my chopper buddy will come meet us.  He is the captain of a ship that services oil platforms in the North Sea.

Some wine was consumed during the process of building that web page yesterday.  I went through a whole bottle of French wine (2010 Bordeaux) on my own, and had a little of the Golden-Eye Pinor Noir that I opened for Sandra.  We ate pork chops with the Pinot Noir.

Reply by rckr1951, Sep 4.

I loved the 2010 vintage - sadly, unless I order by the onesez it's all gone.  Opened a 2011 the other day and it was very good.

Reply by MJET, Sep 4.

RBA-Great trip! Thanks for sharing. Best wishes on your trip to Norway and the cruise. 

Reply by Really Big Al, Sep 7.

We depart tomorrow.  I am excited.  I don't know what / when I'll be posting to the forum, but they say there is free wireless available on the ship.  Time will tell.  

I hope you guys keep that spam smacked down on a daily basis.  

Reply by rckr1951, Sep 8.

AL - Happy trails - leave a large wake.

Back to Categories

Popular Topics

Top Contributors This Month

127503 Snooth User: rckr1951
127503rckr1951
78 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
32 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al