Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

2012 - Snooth's Inaugural Secret Santa?

Original post by JonDerry, Sep 28, 2012.

Thought it would be a great idea for us to take part in trading some of our favorite wines to each other this holiday season. Something in the $30 - 40+ range retail sounds about right (best if found at cheaper/cheapest retailer), and the wines should be ready to drink now so we can all post about our impressions of the wines we were given, but it's really up to the shipper what they want to send. 

Here's a list of the regular posters who would figure in...what's nice is a lot of us regular posters have all met before or intend to meet soon, i.e., GdP, GregT, Foxall, OT, NG, EMark, EricG, myself, and maybe some other frequenters like Zuf, MikeM, some of the mentors, or whoever I'm forgetting (Erica, that shipping from Sweden would be brutal, but maybe workable with your trip to NYC coming up). Maybe even Dmcker will re-surface?

So with that, let it be known if you're interested and we can take all address info to PM/E-mail. With shipping season around the corner, no real reason to wait until "the holidays", maybe we can get the shipments done before Halloween. Or thanksgiving ; )

prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 24, 2012.

"But What am I supposed to do with these tossed salads and scrambled eggs..."

Definitely can't say it hasn't been an eventful time so far.

Reply by napagirl68, Nov 24, 2012.

"But what am I supposed to do with these tossed salads and scrambled eggs..."

just ask Niles... he'll know what to do...

Reply by shsim, Nov 27, 2012.

Did we decide on a date and time to taste? Will there be a holiday Virtual tasting? :D

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 27, 2012.

Looks like everyone will finally receive by Friday, so we'll need another week or so to let the bottles rest. We'll have to take a poll on a date and time.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Nov 29, 2012.

Well, I haven't received a package or an insult from UPS, so we'll see about that virtual tasting. I can confirm the horror stories of using UPS--I boycotted them for years, got stiffed again and boycotted for a while longer, and finally saw no choice, but if the price is close, I'll take FedEx any day.

I'm a big fan of handwritten notes and hand deliveries.  And thanks to the thread, I know my victim was served.

Since I live close to Napa, Santa Lucia Highlands and Sonoma, almost everything I order for delivery arrives via Golden State Overnight, aka GSO, which ships "temperature controlled" for the 40 minute to hour and a half drive from BPWines, LastBottle (spoiler: they are the same folks!) Invino, Roar, and most anyone else I do business with.  Or I drive to outthere's place, Talty, Mauritson, Bell... okay, that's too much like gloating. 

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 29, 2012.

Have you checked Isis yet Fox?

Think it was supposed to go there...

Reply by outthere, Nov 29, 2012.

"half drive from BPWines, LastBottle (spoiler: they are the same folks!)"

Double spoiler: Cory Wagner is a partner at BP but his LastBottleWines is located in Napa not St Helena.

Welcome back Fox!

Reply by Eric Guido, Dec 1, 2012.

I got my bottle from my official Secret Santa and it's a good call.  South African wine, which is a region I've been trying to dig into more often.  Thanks Santa.

Reply by Eric Guido, Dec 15, 2012.

I'm not sure what happened to the Secret Santa opening bottle thread but i can't find it, so I'm posting here for now.

I opened up bother bottles that I have:

The, 2011 Arnot-Roberts Syrah North Coast, was the first to be tasted.  This will be paired with an Olive Chicken later on tonight.  Upon opening, the nose showed crushed raspberry with a hint of blueberry, chalky minerals, mountain herbs and cracked pepper. On the palate it was medium-bodied with flavors of cranberry, tart dried cherry and black pepper. The finish was long with intense wild berry fruit and lingering herbal notes. (I scored it 90 points at this point, but as always, I will be checking in on this in a few hours to see if it opens more of develops.)

The 2008 Glenelly Estate Lady May, has also been opened but I'm waiting to taste it for notes because it was very tight right out of the gate.

Reply by outthere, Dec 15, 2012.

I found it Eric

Reply by Eric Guido, Dec 15, 2012.

That OUTTHERE, that was so strange, i just couldn't find it.

prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
87 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
78 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
68 posts

Snooth Media Network