Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

2012 - Snooth's Inaugural Secret Santa?

Original post by JonDerry, Sep 28, 2012.

Thought it would be a great idea for us to take part in trading some of our favorite wines to each other this holiday season. Something in the $30 - 40+ range retail sounds about right (best if found at cheaper/cheapest retailer), and the wines should be ready to drink now so we can all post about our impressions of the wines we were given, but it's really up to the shipper what they want to send. 

Here's a list of the regular posters who would figure in...what's nice is a lot of us regular posters have all met before or intend to meet soon, i.e., GdP, GregT, Foxall, OT, NG, EMark, EricG, myself, and maybe some other frequenters like Zuf, MikeM, some of the mentors, or whoever I'm forgetting (Erica, that shipping from Sweden would be brutal, but maybe workable with your trip to NYC coming up). Maybe even Dmcker will re-surface?

So with that, let it be known if you're interested and we can take all address info to PM/E-mail. With shipping season around the corner, no real reason to wait until "the holidays", maybe we can get the shipments done before Halloween. Or thanksgiving ; )

Replies

Reply by Eric Guido, Nov 21, 2012.

They missed again, neighbor was home all day.  I doubt they even tried.  I'm going to call tomorrow (or Friday depending on if they are open) and see if they can reroute it to my wife's office.

Reply by outthere, Nov 21, 2012.

They work Friday. I would try going online with the tracking # and see if you can reroute it that way. The boxes are loaded on the trucks at 5am before they ever start answering the phones. Good luck!

Reply by Eric Guido, Nov 22, 2012.

When I try to reroute from the website, It says "This Delivery Change Request cannot be processed. Please contact UPS for additional information."  I'll try calling.

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 22, 2012.

Usually after the third attempt you should be able to take the slip to the UPS hub and pick up there, at least that's how it works over here.

Reply by Eric Guido, Nov 23, 2012.

I'm sorry to say that I'm being told that there's nothing I can do.  The item is already on its way back to the shipper.  I hate UPS, I don't know how they are in the rest of the country, but in NYC their attitude is horrible and they have no care for people and the situations often created by work schedules.  I've had more bad experiences with them than any other service.  Sorry to rant but this is just another failing of customer service on their part.

Reply by SecretSanta, Nov 23, 2012.

That's just not right Eric.

Can you make it by Chambers Street in the next couple days? Reply to this thread, I'll make sure there is something waiting for you if you can.

Santa

Sure, I could get the Chambers Street any day during the week.  That would be great Santa.

Reply by jtryka, Nov 23, 2012.

I feel your pain Eric, anymore if I order anything that's to be delivered by UPS or Fedex, I just have them deliver it to my office, then even though I'm not there at least there's someone to accept it and it will be there when I return.  Of course if you don't have an office this wouldn't help!  Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 23, 2012.

Very disappointing Eric that's ridiculous that they didn't at least hold it at the hub to give you a chance to pick it up. We'll get it fixed.

JT I received your package last week, thank you very much - really looking forward to trying this.

Yeah, it's crazy.  I just wrote to Jon, we could always try my wife's office.

Eric, check your inbox.

Thanks Secret Santa

Jon, It looks like Secret Santa set something up for me, so I won't be left out.

Reply by gregt, Nov 23, 2012.

Eric - they won't let you change it via the website if there's alcohol involved. I don't know how the box was marked, but if it was from a liquor store, they won't let you change it. Only the sender can change the destination address in that case.

If you're trying to change after the 3d attempt, you can't change it either.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever ship wine UPS to New York City.

With Fed Ex, you can always have it sent to a local Kinko/Fed Ex shop at no charge and you can pick it up at your convenience.

They are absolutely the worst at UPS. Used to be, they'd drop the box at the neighbor's house routinely. A few years ago there was some kind of directive not to do that if the box contained alcohol. So they leave you a note. You have to call by 8 pm if you miss your delivery, otherwise it's on the truck for the next morning. So if you come home late, you're screwed.  You can try to get the local depot rather than the central 800 number, but you have to know their number and you have to rely on getting a rational person at the other end - they're busy first thing in the morning, and if you don't get them before the trucks leave, you can't do anything except spend the day knowing that another delivery attempt will be made while you're not home.

After the 3d attempt, they hold it for you and it's up to you to get out to the depot and get it. Conveniently, the depot is open from 9 to 5 for customer pick up, which is entirely reasonable. See, the reason you didn't get the box in the first place was because you were at work during those hours, so clearly you'd be able to get your but out to the holding place during your work hours. And I don't know if you've ever been there, but it's completely inaccessible by public transportation. It's down some potholed streets, all side streets, and it takes me over an hour each way, plus the pick up time.

I should add that the depot is not open on weekends.

As a result, my conversation with the local cretin went like this:

"So you're going to make an attempt tomorrow, even tho I'm telling you I won't be home because I'll be at work?"

"Yes sir."

"And because I won't be there, the driver will leave a note on the door?"

"Yes sir."

"And he can't take it 20 feet next door to the neighbor, who he actually knows quite well?"

"Yes sir. Someone over 21 has to sign for it."

"But the neighbor is 86."

"I'm sorry sir, we can't take it to the neighbor. The sender would have to re-route it."

"So if I call the sender, they can re-route it?"

"No sir."

"Why not? You just told me the sender could do that."

"It's too late now. We're going to make our third attempt tomorrow."

"But after you made the first delivery, I told you I wouldn't be home. Then you made the second delivery and I told you I wouldn't be home. Now you're making a third delivery and I'm telling you I won't be home."

"Yes sir. That's why we can't deliver it. You're never home."

"But I can pick it up at the depot?"

"Yes sir."

"OK, I guess I'll have to do that. I'll pick it up tomorrow."

"You can't do that sir."

"Why?"

"We're not open tomorrow."

"WTF? How can I pick up my package?"

"You can pick it up at your convenience any time Monday thru Friday between 9 am and 5 pm."

"But today is Friday!"

"Yes sir."

"And you're closed on weekends."

"Yes sir."

"So I can't pick it up on the weekends and since I work during weekdays, which is why I'm not home, I can't pick it up on weekdays either."

"Then we'll return it sir."

"So let me get this. I have to sign for the package in person so you won't deliver to the neighbor. I called UPS after the first delivery and they told me I could change the delivery address on line but they couldn't do it over the phone because the box was already on the truck. So a second delivery attempt was made.

Now I'm calling you and you're telling me that I can't change it on line if the package contains wine and  BTW, that's why they couldn't change it over the phone when I asked. So I was given wrong information."

"I'm sorry sir."

"And now, you're telling me that it's too late to hold the package to get the sender to change the delivery address because it's already on the truck for another attempt tomorrow, when I won't be home, and that will be the 3d and final attempt. Then you will keep the package over the weekend when you're closed, and then when I can't come in during the week, you will send it back to the sender?"

"Yes sir."

"So you only make deliveries when I'm at work and you only have the box available for pick-up when I'm at work. And because I can't get it when I'm at work, you will return it. So there was no purpose whatsoever for UPS to ever have had possession of the box, since UPS is not able or willing to get the box to the recipient."

"I'm  sorry sir. Have you joined My UPS?"

GregT, you just said everything I've been thinking for the last three days.  At least I now know that it isn't just a personal issue that UPS has with me.

Reply by outthere, Nov 23, 2012.

UPS is so not user friendly. If you are not a business they are nearly worthless. Speaking of which, they do not work the day after Thanksgiving and my business was expecting a delivery today.FedEx Ground delivers today though.

"UPS, what is the speed of business? We forgot."

Reply by jtryka, Nov 23, 2012.

You know I order a lot of wine on line, and come to think of it, they only use Fedex for deliveries, I've never received anything via UPS...I guess we know the reason now!

Jon,

Secret Santa hooked me up with a gift through a local shop here.  Maybe you could ask my official Secret Santa to forward my bottle to Secret Santa?  Just a thought.

No way Jose. Send it to Eric!

Reply by shsim, Nov 23, 2012.

Haha Greg, that was an entertaining note on UPS. Hope everyone had a great turkey day! Had Pinot noir from alma rosa! yummm!

Reply by napagirl68, Nov 23, 2012.

GregT... SOOOO true!  And I am not in NYC by any stretch. 

It seems that snooth usually uses fedex, at least for virtuals.  They are easy, and yes, I can pick up at local store since shipping to workplace out of the question in my case.

All I have to say is... UPS is a bunch of nazis!

Continue to the end of the thread to reply
Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
84 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
68 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
63 posts