Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

2012 - Snooth's Inaugural Secret Santa?

Original post by JonDerry, Sep 28, 2012.

Thought it would be a great idea for us to take part in trading some of our favorite wines to each other this holiday season. Something in the $30 - 40+ range retail sounds about right (best if found at cheaper/cheapest retailer), and the wines should be ready to drink now so we can all post about our impressions of the wines we were given, but it's really up to the shipper what they want to send. 

Here's a list of the regular posters who would figure in...what's nice is a lot of us regular posters have all met before or intend to meet soon, i.e., GdP, GregT, Foxall, OT, NG, EMark, EricG, myself, and maybe some other frequenters like Zuf, MikeM, some of the mentors, or whoever I'm forgetting (Erica, that shipping from Sweden would be brutal, but maybe workable with your trip to NYC coming up). Maybe even Dmcker will re-surface?

So with that, let it be known if you're interested and we can take all address info to PM/E-mail. With shipping season around the corner, no real reason to wait until "the holidays", maybe we can get the shipments done before Halloween. Or thanksgiving ; )

Replies

Reply by gregt, Nov 15, 2012.

Yeah don't volunteer information!

So is this the thread where people also post what they receive? 

So far, seems 2 out of 2. If we all end up with a wine we are happy with but might not otherwise have picked up, that's a very good outcome.

It was a good idea Jon.

Reply by Mike Madaio, Nov 16, 2012.

I received mine as well, and am quite happy with it - thanks Greg! Mostly because of the story behind it*, but also because it's a wine I might not have otherwise picked up, but will quite likely enjoy.

*however, GregT made me feel guilty with his great story, whereas I just sent a bottle with no note. I guess I'm a bad Secret Santa.

Reply by outthere, Nov 16, 2012.

You didn't send a Christmas Card with your Secret Santa gift? Ban Him! :)

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 16, 2012.

Looks like we have at least 4 of 11 people confirm receipt (GT, OT, MM, and me). 

Lucha's is scheduled to deliver today, Eric on Monday, another on Tuesday. A couple others will both be hand delivered in the next few days if not already. I'll see if I can get an update on the other two.

Reply by gregt, Nov 16, 2012.

Mike - maybe not so much of a story but you would never get it otherwise as there's only one barrel. I hope you like it!

Reply by Mike Madaio, Nov 16, 2012.

I'd be willing to bet I'm the only one who got a bottle of that rarity, at least!

Reply by jtryka, Nov 16, 2012.

I ordered mine last weekend, but I have no idea when it's supposed to arrive!  In any case I just hope it's enjoyed.

Reply by Lucha Vino, Nov 16, 2012.

My package arrived today.  I grabbed it off the front porch just as I was heading out for my weekend in Portland so resisted the urge to open it.  I will wait to check the contents when I get back home on Sunday.

Thanks Secret Santa!

I will add that the box looks way more suspicious than mine did. :-)

Reply by Eric Guido, Nov 17, 2012.

I thought we were keeping the senders secret.  No matter to me either way, just saying. 

Reply by outthere, Nov 17, 2012.

Im just nosy that way Eric. I wanna know!!!!!!!!! 

;)

Reply by gregt, Nov 17, 2012.

Eric - Is that buried in this thread somewhere? If so, I totally forgot about it. Oops.

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 17, 2012.

I probably forgot to stress that point to Greg T, it was typically done in PM's, but with Greg and Eva being late additions, it was all agreed over dinner after a couple of bottles. Great additions though.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Nov 17, 2012.

Well, since someone is getting a personal delivery on Monday, at least one other identity is likely to be blown!

Reply by jtryka, Nov 19, 2012.

Sorry JD, I got an e-mail today and it said your wine should be delivered on Wednesday, so at least you'll have it before Thanksgiving!  I got yours today and I am very excited to try it!

Reply by evaem, Nov 20, 2012.

i received my secret santa wine (and a very sweet note!). i am VERY excited to try it -- a dry creek valley zin (left the wine at home, can't remember the producer -- will post notes later). can't wait! i think i will have to bust it out my thanksgiving dinner.

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 20, 2012.

Nice Eva,

Well if you don't wind up serving it at thanksgiving, maybe you could join some of the rest of us for a virtual tasting where we plan to open, taste and share thoughts about the wine on the same date/time. Just want to make sure everyone receives before we set it up, and since GdP might be able to make a Snooth event out of it, waiting for him to chime in.

Reply by jtryka, Nov 20, 2012.

That's good to hear, based on what I thought I read, I thought the opening and tasting was supposed to be yesterday and I missed it!  Now I'm getting excited!

Reply by evaem, Nov 21, 2012.

Okay, thanks for letting me know, jonderry. I can keep it for the virtual tasting... hard to wait tho! ;-)

Reply by Eric Guido, Nov 21, 2012.

I'm hoping my UPS man will take pity on me and leave my package with a neighbor.  This is the third day that I left the signed slip on my door with their address.  I swear they just don't even attempt the delivery.

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 21, 2012.

Fingers crossed, if you don't get it today that'll likely be held up until Monday.

Continue to the end of the thread to reply
Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
85 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
66 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
63 posts