Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

2012 - Snooth's Inaugural Secret Santa?

Original post by JonDerry, Sep 28, 2012.

Thought it would be a great idea for us to take part in trading some of our favorite wines to each other this holiday season. Something in the $30 - 40+ range retail sounds about right (best if found at cheaper/cheapest retailer), and the wines should be ready to drink now so we can all post about our impressions of the wines we were given, but it's really up to the shipper what they want to send. 

Here's a list of the regular posters who would figure in...what's nice is a lot of us regular posters have all met before or intend to meet soon, i.e., GdP, GregT, Foxall, OT, NG, EMark, EricG, myself, and maybe some other frequenters like Zuf, MikeM, some of the mentors, or whoever I'm forgetting (Erica, that shipping from Sweden would be brutal, but maybe workable with your trip to NYC coming up). Maybe even Dmcker will re-surface?

So with that, let it be known if you're interested and we can take all address info to PM/E-mail. With shipping season around the corner, no real reason to wait until "the holidays", maybe we can get the shipments done before Halloween. Or thanksgiving ; )

Replies

Reply by SecretSanta, Nov 12, 2012.

Sent to GregT enroute. Check your PM inbox for tracking info. Due Wednesday.

Santa

Reply by Richard Foxall, Nov 13, 2012.

Agree that post-Tday is a good time.  I'm heading to NYC in a couple days and won't get back till after the big Turkey feed. 

I did try to ship mine today, but was shocked at the shipping price.  Think my local UPS store was jobbing me.  It'd be cheaper to hand deliver it...

Reply by shsim, Nov 13, 2012.

Sent! :D 

Reply by SecretSanta, Nov 13, 2012.

GregT, your package is in Keasby NJ. S/B delivered on time tomorrow!

Santa

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 13, 2012.

Nice! 

SS is great...looks like most shipments are either underway or will be in the next day or two, this means some shipments will stretch out into next week. Hopefully everyone receives by thanksgiving or your SS done screwed up!

Reply by gregt, Nov 13, 2012.

Shipped mine on Friday so I hope it's there by Wed, if not earlier.

BTW folks, don't mark "alcohol" on the box and your shipping will be a lot easier. Just tell them it's juice or vinegar or something of that sort.

Reply by outthere, Nov 13, 2012.

So true, every time I ship wine the girl behind the counter says "You can't ship wine" with a snicker. I tell her it's homemade vinegar, with my own snicker.

Reply by Lucha Vino, Nov 14, 2012.

I sent Mrs. Lucha Vino to ship my Secret Santa gift with the instructions "This is not wine" wink-wink.  She asked "What is it?"  I replied "Anything but wine.  How about Olive Oil?"  Well, she thought I was serious and when the UPS store person asked what she was shipping shed said Olive Oil.  To which the security conscious UPS clerk asked to inspect the contents.  It WAS Wine!  My wife exclaimed when she called me on the phone. 

So, I asked a wine maker friend for some shipping help and he told me what everybody on this thread already knows.  DON'T tell them it is wine.  Don't tell them anything about what is in the package.  So, off to the Fed Ex store I went.  I kept my mouth shut and my package is on its way.  Rudolph has lifted off!

Reply by gregt, Nov 14, 2012.

They asked to inspect the contents?????

Holy crap!  I've shipped wine all over the country for years and nobody ever asked. I simply say it's samples, which is true. From Europe, they indicate "fruit juice" and if anyone were ever to ask, I just say, "Oh, you know those Europeans. They think wine is food just like fruit juice. They don't really understand."

Yet another reason to hate UPS.

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 14, 2012.

Wow, that is insane Lucha! I wonder what your wife did to get them all suspicious or if they were just being a pain. That, or it could've been in an obvious wine shaped box that helped.

I have a UPS account and we have daily pickups or I'll just run it over to the actual UPS hub where they never ask anything. Those UPS Stores/ Fed Ex Office counters are the worst.

Reply by EMark, Nov 14, 2012.

It's not UPS's fault.  It's U.S. law--and, apparently it is only the consumer that is constrained.  If UPS, or FedEx, or the P.O. knowingly ships wine for a consumer, and they are caught, then there will be a penalty.  I would suspect that, at the very least, an employee who accepts wine for shipment would be fired. 

Obviously, distributors and other entities legally ship wine all the time.  More than likely, somebody feels that if you or I were able to legally do so, it would somehow take money out of their pocket.  So, they take some of that money, spread around legislatures and, voila, they get a goverrnment endorsed monopoly.

I am not surprised that the agents in Sonoma County don't ask--don't ask, don't tell.  They understand that what benefits the local economy, even at the micro level, benefits them.  I have been asked about the contents of every UPS or FedEx shipment I have ever made.  I find that "Electronic Components" usually keeps them happy.  If they mention that it seems pretty heavy, I give them a clarification--"Power Supply."  Power supplies are always heavy. 

Really does show that shipping at the retail level is a completely different experience. You have plenty of employees trained to do the job a certain way and of course some of them are going to take that power way too seriously. 

Reply by Eric Guido, Nov 14, 2012.

I think Fedex must have recently had a company memo about wine shipments, because I received a similar grilling when trying to ship my package. 

I'm really happy we're doing this.  Thanks for organizing it Jon.

Me too Eric, glad everything seems to be working out so far, just hope everyone receives next week.  I just discovered my wine has arrived safe and sound, really looking forward to opening this in a couple weeks.

As far as a reveal/drink date, what do you guys think about a Thursday night?

Only reason I mention a Thursday is the board seems to have lower traffic on weekends.

Reply by Lucha Vino, Nov 14, 2012.

Well, I picked a box that wouldn't look like it contained a bottle of wine.  At any rate my Fedex tracking number says my package is scheduled to arrive on the 20th.

Thursday nights are usually pretty good for me.

Even with the hassle from the UPS Man this is totally worth it.  Thanks for organizing JD!

Reply by gregt, Nov 14, 2012.

Received!!

And it's a nice bottle indeed. The post guy left it at the basement stairs, which is great and what they used to do before some new rule came into effect that barred them from doing to.

Anyhow, it's a bottle of Copain that I'm looking forward to. A producer I really like actually, and I don't own any so this is quite welcome! Discovered Copain thru a friend, who was a fan. Haven't had one in over a year now but I remember them as having a smoky savory quality that I loved.  Would have been great with the smoked pork loin last weekend!

Reply by SecretSanta, Nov 14, 2012.

Received!!

And it's a nice bottle indeed. The post guy left it at the basement stairs, which is great and what they used to do before some new rule came into effect that barred them from doing to. Anyhow, it's a bottle of Copain that I'm looking forward to. A producer I really like actually, and I don't own any so this is quite welcome! Discovered Copain thru a friend, who was a fan. Haven't had one in over a year now but I remember them as having a smoky savory quality that I loved.  Would have been great with the smoked pork loin last weekend!

He shoots, he scores! :)  Glad you like it Greg. Enjoy!

Santa

Reply by napagirl68, Nov 15, 2012.

Pack it good and quiet, and don't volunteer information.  That is my best advice to everyone I meet, for all of life's issues/happenings... DONT VOLUNTEER INFORMATION.  In any regard.

As long as it doesn't swish obviously, no questions asked.  I NEVER volunteer information... hypothetically, if asked, I would say, merchandise.  Most UPS workers don't even know what that word means ;-)

Reply by shsim, Nov 15, 2012.

Haha I just said I was sending a vase when the guy asked. Sounds like they have plenty of such cases to deal with during this season.

Reply by outthere, Nov 15, 2012.

My wine arrived this afternoon. My Secret Santa will remain a secret since their identity was kept a secret on the gift invoice. Perhaps I will find in a couple weeks?

A Gigondas. I have been reading that 2010 was a good vintage for Gigondas so I am excited to see one come out of the shipper. I'll be sure to pop it open a day early.

Thanks Santa!

Continue to the end of the thread to reply
Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
66 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
62 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark