Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

2012 - Snooth's Inaugural Secret Santa?

Original post by JonDerry, Sep 28, 2012.

Thought it would be a great idea for us to take part in trading some of our favorite wines to each other this holiday season. Something in the $30 - 40+ range retail sounds about right (best if found at cheaper/cheapest retailer), and the wines should be ready to drink now so we can all post about our impressions of the wines we were given, but it's really up to the shipper what they want to send. 

Here's a list of the regular posters who would figure in...what's nice is a lot of us regular posters have all met before or intend to meet soon, i.e., GdP, GregT, Foxall, OT, NG, EMark, EricG, myself, and maybe some other frequenters like Zuf, MikeM, some of the mentors, or whoever I'm forgetting (Erica, that shipping from Sweden would be brutal, but maybe workable with your trip to NYC coming up). Maybe even Dmcker will re-surface?

So with that, let it be known if you're interested and we can take all address info to PM/E-mail. With shipping season around the corner, no real reason to wait until "the holidays", maybe we can get the shipments done before Halloween. Or thanksgiving ; )

Replies

Reply by JonDerry, Oct 17, 2012.

Sounds good Erica, maybe you can bring your bottle to New York or pick one up there to make it easier.

Was thinking we should just do the draw on Nov 2nd when I visit Snooth, would be more legit w GdP as witness anyway and will give people some more time and the weather some more time to cool down, we're still burning up in So Cal this week!

Reply by shsim, Oct 17, 2012.

Have been mia for awhile but ill be down for exchange! :) 

Reply by JonDerry, Oct 26, 2012.

We have 9 people confirmed for the gift exchange, so this is looking like it might be the final number. About the only regular I haven't heard from is GregT, though we'll likely discuss when I'm in NY, and Erica is the only other "maybe" I know of.

With shipping season here we can move right along, and we're countin' down!

Reply by jtryka, Nov 2, 2012.

If it's not too late count me in too!  What the heck!

Reply by gregt, Nov 3, 2012.

So I guess I'm in, at least I was given a name last night.

The rules are something $30-40 and that's it? White, red, sparkling? 

Personally I'd think sparkling would be a bit dicey because if the bottle pops for whatever reason, the shipper is going to be pretty PO'd. Plus they're heavier.

Hm m m m.

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 5, 2012.

We did do the draw before you chimed in JTRYKA, but if you'd still like to exchange we can work something out. I'll try and e-mail everyone their partners' info toay.

Yes, $30+ is the price range. Don't think anyone would mind if you shipped a $100 bottle though!

Would agree that sparkling is probably not the best idea, if you have any other preferences Greg let me know.

Reply by jtryka, Nov 5, 2012.

Let me know what I need to do in terms of getting the address info to you and I'll do it.  Thanks!

Reply by outthere, Nov 5, 2012.

Um, 

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 5, 2012.

Looking forward to the "you have mail" image soon.

Reply by gregt, Nov 5, 2012.

Good point tho - how do we get the various mail addresses?

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 6, 2012.

I'll be a sending them to you shortly...glad to see we have some interest coming back, was like pulling teeth there for a while!

Reply by outthere, Nov 6, 2012.

Got it, thanks!

Everyone should've gotten mail from me, hit me up if you did not.

So let the local shipping begin...for cross country shipments, plan to ship on Monday, Nov 12 so it doesn't get held over the weekend somewhere. Would be a minor miracle if everyone received by Friday, Nov 17th but let's shoot for that anyway.

Cheers,

So let the local shipping begin...for cross country shipments, plan to ship on Monday, Nov 12 so it doesn't get held over the weekend somewhere. Would be a minor miracle if everyone received by Friday, Nov 17th

PSA:  Actually you do not want to ship on a Monday if you are shipping across country. Ground takes 5 business days which means if you ship on Monday it will sit in a warehouse over the weekend. Best day to ship coast to coast is Wednesday or Thursday as the package will be on a train during the weekend in transit.

i specifically asked a friend who owns a wine store and ships across the country weekly and  that was her reply. I am shipping out tomorrow 11/8 for delivery on 11/15.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Nov 6, 2012.

Thanks for that info, OT.  If anyone has me who lives in NYC, don't ship it, just drop it off at Snooth!  Seriously, I will be out of town starting Nov. 15th and will actually be in NYC on the 18th and 19th and plan to visit the offices, assuming that they are open again. Just put it next to those bottles I shipped for the dinner. 

The challenge here is to find something I have multiples of, is ready to drink, and works for my recipient.  Which suggests that I might need to shop this weekend. 

I'm just going to wing it. I kinda know what the recipient drinks and I know I'll be better off introducing him to one of my gems rather than try to impress him with something I don't know a whole lot about. I'll just send decanting instructions with the bottle. This is a discovery kinda thing anyhow, right? ;)

My ground shipments sent on Monday get to the east coast on Friday. Not sure if what you outlined above is just for FedEx, I just assumed they had the same time-frame. 

I just created a UPS label for Ground shipment to New York (I'm in CA). Had I created this yesterday, it would have been scheduled for a Friday delivery.

UPS Ground Service
End of Day Monday, Nov 12, 2012

I think out of the 11 exchanges we have lined up, 3 are cross country and I'm pretty sure at least two of you guys know your way around your shipping carriers.

Sounds like a good plan for your chosen partner OT ; )

Just changed the "from" address to Northern CA and there's the rub, it's another day from Northern CA. Score one for So Cal ; )

For Nor Cal shipments going to New York or the East Coast, see OT's recommendation to ship tomorrow (11/8) for delivery on (11/15). 

If you're shipping from the East Coast out West, it's best to ship on Monday November 12th if the recipient is in Southern CA.

Reply by SecretSanta, Nov 8, 2012.

Can't wait. I love this time of year!

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 12, 2012.

Heard from a couple folks that they shipped recently, anyone else? Anyone receive?

May as well use this thread to update the shipping/receiving or just send me a PM.

Think at this point we'll be doing the reveal/drink date after thanksgiving.

Continue to the end of the thread to reply
Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
84 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
68 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
63 posts