Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

2012 - Snooth's Inaugural Secret Santa?

Posted by JonDerry, Sep 28, 2012.

Thought it would be a great idea for us to take part in trading some of our favorite wines to each other this holiday season. Something in the $30 - 40+ range retail sounds about right (best if found at cheaper/cheapest retailer), and the wines should be ready to drink now so we can all post about our impressions of the wines we were given, but it's really up to the shipper what they want to send. 

Here's a list of the regular posters who would figure in...what's nice is a lot of us regular posters have all met before or intend to meet soon, i.e., GdP, GregT, Foxall, OT, NG, EMark, EricG, myself, and maybe some other frequenters like Zuf, MikeM, some of the mentors, or whoever I'm forgetting (Erica, that shipping from Sweden would be brutal, but maybe workable with your trip to NYC coming up). Maybe even Dmcker will re-surface?

So with that, let it be known if you're interested and we can take all address info to PM/E-mail. With shipping season around the corner, no real reason to wait until "the holidays", maybe we can get the shipments done before Halloween. Or thanksgiving ; )

1 2 3 4 5 6 next

Replies

Reply by napagirl68, Sep 28, 2012.

LOVE IT!   I'm in.

Reply by outthere, Sep 28, 2012.

So,  do we tailor our choices to match the recipients palate/tastes or do we just surprise them. If the prior, perhaps the PM/email containing the shipping info could also contain the recipients preference for varietal or winemaking style.

Either way count me in.

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Sep 28, 2012.

I'm in. Awesome idea. We could do this several tines a year at different price points.  Maybe set up a g-chat to share our impressions, and drink the wines together.

Reply by Jake Pippin, Sep 28, 2012.

I think this is great idea! I'd love to take part.

Reply by JonDerry, Sep 28, 2012.

All sounds good...OT it's pretty much up to the shipper what they want to ship, but the spirit of this should probably be to get people to drink some wines they wouldn't normally drink, though feel free to mention any kind of wine you absolutely hate and don't want.

Different price points and multiple times per year would be great, there are at least 3 seasons we can ship...($10 or under, 15-25, $100!)

Reply by Richard Foxall, Sep 29, 2012.

Of course I'm in. Heck of fun.  But GdP, let's see how this one goes first, eh?

Reply by Lucha Vino, Sep 29, 2012.

I'm in!

Reply by Mike Madaio, Sep 29, 2012.

I could be talked into this...

Reply by Richard Foxall, Sep 29, 2012.

JD, you've created a monster, and now it's up to you to manage it! 

Reply by JonDerry, Sep 29, 2012.

Seriously, this should be fun. I plan on being in touch with everyone via PM next week.

We can do $30-40+ (edited in the original post) to make it a little more affordable for people, without losing much, if any quality. If anyone wants to send something above $40, I'm sure no one would object, but if you opt for a $30 wine, try to make sure it performs well above it's price level ; )

Reply by outthere, Sep 29, 2012.

Good move going down from $50 because that's a black hole in my cellar. I'm heavy on $30-40 and it will be much easier to choose a drinker from that price range. So, are you going to draw names from a hat to decide the pecking order?

Reply by jackwerickson, Oct 1, 2012.

I would also to be a part, have a couple of questions would we send a favorite bottle or one that the receipent would prefer. I just sent a bottle to a friend in NY I live in TX the cost was $20 FedX. Took it to the post office didn't tell them it was wine just fragile and the cost was $14. so if you are looking at 30-40 the cost will actually exceed $50

Reply by JonDerry, Oct 1, 2012.

True, shipping costs and looking more at typical retail price points were a big reason we moved the price down to $30-40. If the cost is too high with shipping for anyone, we're already planning on doing exchanges with all kinds of price points, so you can always wait until the price is right for what you have in your cellar or what you'd be willing to go out and buy for this.

The hope is you'll get your money back in the shipment you'll be getting from someone else + the fun of it. $20 does seem a bit steep though.

Reply by outthere, Oct 1, 2012.

Trusting the USPS with something fragile is a scary thought. I logged into FedEx and entered a 3lb single bottle wine shipper destined for Columbus Ohio from here in Forestville Ca. Ground was $9.14. A 2 bottle shipper with an ice pack in the other slot, 4lbs same destination was $9.78. If you put bubble wrap around the bottle in the shipper so it does not bounce around it will show up in one piece regardless of which ape handles the box.

Shop around.

Reply by JonDerry, Oct 6, 2012.

Looks like we have about 9 contestants so far, anyone else interested?

Everyone who chimed in above should've received a PM from me today. Just need everyone's info by the week of 10/15-10/21, and then we can do shipments starting the week of 10/22.

Reply by Chris Carpita, Oct 6, 2012.

Whatever GDP gives you is from both of us!  Just kidding, not quite advanced enough to play, but love that you guys are doing this. 

Reply by jtryka, Oct 7, 2012.

I could be convinced, what is the deadline?  After all, we aren't even to Halloween, and early Christmas decorations in stores really annoys me!

Reply by JonDerry, Oct 8, 2012.

Jtryka, trying to have everyone's info by the week of 10/15-21. Then we can start shipments so everyone gets the wine well before thanksgiving. 

Greg also mentioned having an "open that bottle night" where we all open the shipments/wines on the same night and discuss. It's best to let the wines rest a week or so before doing this, too.

Reply by jtryka, Oct 14, 2012.

Ok, some of my favorite wineries offer special holiday packs with free shipping but I don't think it's until late November that they start shipping, so it looks like I might have to pass unless someone would be willing to wait for my shipment!

Reply by Erica Landin, Oct 17, 2012.

I'd might possibly be interested - have a Utah address (in addition to Sweden) though, so probably someone should just pack it and ship :) Though not a dry state anymore, it's still one of those states that a retailer won't ship to :)

1 2 3 4 5 6 next

Continue to the end of the thread to reply
Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
83 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
76 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler