Wine Talk

Snooth User: outthere

2012 Growing Season

Original post by outthere, May 16, 2012.

Thought I'd start a new thread rather than clog the Rosé thread with a drift.

As I was telling you Fox, bloom is iminent. I took these shots this afternoon at Copain.

Ready to burst at any time. Hopefully we have a normal weather year for a change.

prev 1 2 3 4

Replies

Reply by JonDerry, Sep 27, 2012.

Huge yields sounds like kind of a sister to 2007, maybe without the hype. Or not, pretty much every vintage that can be hyped is these days. Sounds like maybe a good Merlot year?

Nice shot of Lagier Meredith, definitely no buyer's remorse on that stuff.

2012 EMH, sounds like it could be a winner...interesting about the Chardonnay having a hard time ripening, though most Sonoma Chards aren't on my radar anyway.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Sep 28, 2012.

Good vineyard management and still extra fruit means great deals on negociant wine, IMO.  And shiners from the wineries themselves. Great for us locals.

"The Chard is scheduled to drop next week at the latest." So said OT on Sept. 12.  Oops. Chablis style suits me fine, about the only chardonnay I have an interest in.  Might be time for a return to California Chard if they can lay off the oak.

Reply by JonDerry, Sep 28, 2012.

"The Chard is scheduled to drop next week at the latest." So said OT on Sept. 12.  Oops.

Or this could be just the habit we have of underestimating Napa & Sonoma's micro-climates, as Greg T has championed before.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Sep 28, 2012.

Right, that Chardonnay could have dropped already, while around the corner, it could have been a whole different picture. 

Last Sunday, I was driving my wife to SFO and we were on the top deck of the Bay Bridge when we noticed a perfectly delineated fog bank in the slot coming in from the ridge behind the Broadmoor section of Daly City and slicing in front of Mount Sutro.  It looked like a lake, cold and grey, had formed in the space between Twin Peaks and the top of Mount Sutro, the top of the fog bank was so flat.  The rest of the city was clear as a bell.  Just a stunning example of microclimate conditions.   We tried to take a picture but IPhone + windshield + moving car + distance just didn't work.  In Chicago they say, if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change.  Here, travel five miles, or for that matter, 1.5 miles, and things can be 20 degrees warmer or cooler, completely fogged in, howling with winds, you name it.

Reply by outthere, Oct 2, 2012.

We just finished sorting 6-1/2 tons of Pinot Noir 115 from the Bacigalupi Vineyard. Fruit came in at 25.3 and looked real good.

We did 9 of these bins in about 3 hours

Fruit going down the sorting table.

Destemmed berries waiting to go into cold soak.

The Zinfandel is 10 days out.

Reply by JonDerry, Oct 2, 2012.

Nice, Rock N' Roll!

Reply by EMark, Oct 2, 2012.

OT, this discourse is getting more interesting every day.  Thank you very much for the narrative and the great pics.

Reply by EMark, Oct 2, 2012.

I went back to look at the pics, again.  Why does the middle one make me think of Lucy and Ethel? ;-)

Reply by outthere, Oct 2, 2012.

Ha! They needed the table for another delivery and sped up the tread a bit to pick up the pace. I was saying "Whoa Lucy, calm down now!"

You have to be quick with your hand eye coordination. Don't want any earwigs or spiders or other MOG going off the end of the table. It's actually fun until your back starts aching at 2-1/2 hrs.

Reply by outthere, Oct 4, 2012.

Morgan Twain-Peterson and his gang foot crushing his Alder Springs Syrah. I so want to do this someday.

Reply by outthere, Oct 4, 2012.

Speaking of Lucy....

Reply by Richard Foxall, Oct 5, 2012.

OT, it's not too late to sign up at Bell's stomping party.  Oct. 13 at the vineyard.  Pick merlot, crush it, drink wine.  I'm going to have to miss it, but my 9 year old is determined to do this, too, so we'll be signing up next year.

Reply by outthere, Nov 28, 2012.

My final picture from the 2012 Growing Season shows just how good the bounty was. I was at Emeritus yesterday and noticed fruit still on the vines. When I asked what was up with that the reply was, "We couldn't keep up with it. We dropped as much fruit as we could and still had too much tonnage to pick at harvest."

Anyone  up for a late harvest Pinot? Talk about jammy fruit!  :)

Reply by EMark, Nov 28, 2012.

For Napagirl:  what he means is LHPN.

Heck yeah, OT.  Splash some BC spores on them and let's see what happens.

Thank you very much for the reports and pictures, this year.

Reply by JonDerry, Nov 28, 2012.

Nice...I'm in, fire up the custom crush!

prev 1 2 3 4

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

262583 Snooth User: Richard Foxall
262583Richard Foxall
59 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
59 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
58 posts