Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

2011 Willi Schaefer Riesling

Posted by JonDerry, Mar 25, 2013.

I summon you all to try and get your hands on some '11 Willi Schaefer German Riesling, be it Kabinett, Spatlese, Auslese, etc. The simple Kabinett I had yesterday was a very nice wine, and great for its level. Can't wait to try more. Luckily, I have a Spatlese #10 lined up to try next.

Replies

Reply by ApelsecS, Mar 27, 2013.

I'm not a big lover of wight wine but German Riesling is probably the only I like.
My friend, who is a Riesling fan, says that Riesling labeled as "Kabinett" should be the best.

Well, all Kabinetts that I tryed were good for me, so probably he is right :)

Reply by Eric Guido, Mar 27, 2013.

Awesome wines!  And in many cases great values.  I'm glad you discovered them.

Reply by EMark, Mar 28, 2013.

Where did you get them, Jon?  Although, in all honesty, if you bought them some place on the west side, I probably won't be running right over.

Reply by JonDerry, Mar 28, 2013.

Mark, the furthest south I know for sure has some is Manhattan Fine Wines (manhattan beach), and The Wine Country in Long Beach might have a few, but I'd make sure to call first.

Also, Hi Time has some Spat#10's but some $7 more than Manhattan...considering gas prices, it's probably a wash ;)

Reply by EMark, Mar 28, 2013.

Rats, I missed a good chance.  I helped my niece move to Signal Hill a week ago and did not take the opportunity to check out Wine Country.  She and her sweetheart wore me out.  I carried much too much stuff up or down far too many stair steps.  Hey, in a couple weeks I'm on Medicare.  Us old guys get worn out.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Mar 30, 2013.

Emark, they should go fetch you a bottle of wine for your help.  Taking advantage of your retirement like that is unfair unless they show some gratitude.

So, Kabinetts aren't necessarily "the best," Apelsecs, but could be the best for you.  The German ranking system does rank on "quality," which is really based on the sugar levels of the grapes, and Kabinett is the lowest ranked "Qualitatswein," or "Quality Wine."  Which isn't a bad thing at all, as there are categories below "quality wine."  What's great IMO about Kabinett wines is that they can be vinified dry or nearly so and still have low alcohol because the grapes start with lower sugar.  Some are left with a little residual sugar, but the acidity of the Riesling makes them taste clean.  Those can come in with around 8% alcohol, be deliciously fruity and still have some complexity, and, served chilled, are great for afternoon events or pre-grilling because you can drink them (slowly, of course) for hours with no effect, then settle down to dinner with something more substantial.  I served a Kabinett to a friend who claimed to hate all German wine and he really enjoyed it.  At your next picnic or afternoon summer party, serve Kabinett, folks, and no one goes home ripped.  Nice in place of rose or Sancerre/Vouvray/Muscadet, which are old standbys.

Reply by JonDerry, Mar 31, 2013.

Yeah the Kabinett's would seem to agree with me the most but I still have some experimenting to do with the different classifications. Still really haven't had a dry Riesling (trocken, or GG), and planning on my 1st Auslese later today on the other end of the spectrum. They also have the ultra sweet/concentrated beerenauslese which is their version of Sauternes. Some with d'Yquem prices too.

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
99 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
78 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
57 posts

Categories