Wine Talk

Snooth User: outthere

2011 Great Year for California Rosé?

Posted by outthere, Apr 22, 2012.

Is it just me or is 2011 turning into a killer year in California for Rosé? I've already had a couple stellar offerings from Arnot-Roberts in their Touriga Nacional Rosé and Bedrock with the Ode to Lulu Mourvedre/Grenache. Today I go to the Williams-Selyem pick-up party and they're pouring a 2011 Vin Gris that is really flashy as well.

Purity of fruit, great acid and wonderful aromatics grace all three of these. I'm afraid to see who hooks me and reels me in next. It's a wealth of riches this year so far.

Replies

Reply by Pyrifera, Apr 22, 2012.

I haven't noticed which vintages particularly, but recently I've been tasting some good roses.  There was a stretch there maybe two years ago where all the roses I had were dull and sometimes just plain bad.  I certainly hope you're right about 2011.

Reply by EMark, Apr 22, 2012.

This will make for a great picnicking summer.  Sorry, but I, invariably, associate roses with picnic fare. 

Do you think that winemakers have become interested in creating good, serious roses in backlash to the uninformed reputation that roses are flighty, almost koolaid-like refreshments?

Reply by dmcker, Apr 22, 2012.

So you're saying the 2011 is so much better than 2010 or 09 for those same makers? Then again, places like A-R are still relatively young and may just be getting better at what they do (pretty damn good already...).

I'm a big rose fan and am once again jealous, since the market and selection (and those in good shipping condition) here in Tokyo are extremely limited.

Reply by outthere, Apr 22, 2012.

Well, yes. At least for WS and Bedrock. This was the first year for AR... Oh and I forgot a Copain Tous Ensmble that we had a couple weeks ago. This will be a great summer for me!

Reply by smithdaj54, Apr 23, 2012.

I think so!  And i'm with you emark, had one with a picnic this weekend!  (by picnic I mean meats and cheeses at a winery ;-)) 

I feel like Rose in general is make a big resurgence, at least in my area, i'm seeing it more and more in the grocery store.  They're also really changing up what wines they're doing it with.  Had a pinot rose this weekend, yum!

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
56 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
56 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
50 posts

Categories