Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

Tignanello

Posted by JonDerry, Feb 23.

My first time with Tignanello, and while this not something I'd buy in bulk it was good to have the experience. Definitely good wine, and curious to try an older vintage.

TN: Plum, fig, coffee, vanilla, and black cherries on the nose.
Shows good acidity on entry, followed by fresh red and black fruit flavors, coating the mouth well with extract. Medium to medium plus + in body with fine and firm tannins. Finishes well with medium length and intensity. 
A well polished, sexy wine, not unlike modern Bordeaux in style, but with that touch of place to distinguish it. Developed fairly quickly over three hours and doesn't come across as a wine for the long haul. Drink now through 2024.

1 2 next

Replies

Reply by gregt, Feb 23.

Actually it ages pretty well. It's not a bad wine. Maybe not worth all the hype it once got, but still nice enough.

Reply by zufrieden, Feb 23.

But is it a good wine, I wonder?  That is, in the paraphrased words of Samuel Johnson, would it be wine worth drinking, but not worth going to drink?

Reply by gregt, Feb 24.

Zuf - if you show up I'll open some from 1998.

Reply by TomGreen, Feb 24.

Wow looks so great, though its really impossible to find something like that in local stores around me,

please visit this site  https://www.swisscubancigars.com/

Reply by dvogler, Feb 24.

Impossible TomGreen?  Do you live in Siberia?

Reply by EMark, Feb 24.

Darren, I think he might.  If you look at his profile, his location is displayed in the Cyrillic alphabet.  Translating those characters into Latin it looks something like Izhervsk.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Feb 24.

GregT is offering great perks to encourage visits.  I'm going to take him up on it some weekend!

Reply by JonDerry, Feb 24.

Agreed Fox...

Greg/Zuf I made a separate post so folks like you might see it, guess it worked!

Sounds good about the '98 Greg...I'll have to ask you about it when I can get down there...maybe when Fox finally graces So Cal again? I'm looking at trying the '99 or '04 next.

Reply by EMark, Feb 24.

I have a '97 Tignanello.  I guess I was feeling stupidly extravagant that day.  I have no plan for this.  So, I would be thrilled to bring it for a comparative tasting.

Reply by JonDerry, Feb 24.

Nice Mark, love those hidden gems. How long ago did you buy?

We'll see how it compares to that '90 Lynch ; )

Reply by EMark, Feb 24.

I bought it about a year ago at Wine Club in Santa Ana.

Reply by gregt, Feb 25.

OK so mine's been since release. If you guys are serious, it's still in NYC, packed and ready to go. I know which box it's in, but I don't know where that box is. Anyhow, I'm back there in a couple weeks and I'll figure it out and dig it out. Then let's do the tasting!

Reply by JonDerry, Feb 25.

Sounds great Greg, Let's do this!

Some time in early April?

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Feb 25.

Tignanello is a good story, and was once quite a good wine. I still have a few mags left from 78ish or 79. Back then it was a real standout, today not so much. Well made and enjoyable but certainly not a good value and a bit pedestrian. I wish I could join you guys for the Tig fest with them but that's not gonna happen in April. Though I will be on the west coast a few times this year so I'll go start a thread to see if we won't be able to plan out a dinner or two!

Reply by gregt, Feb 25.

I'm sure we can dig up something. Will be back in a couple weeks anyway - was going to come back this week but you guys are having some wonderful weather again and I figured I'd let you enjoy it without bothering anyone.Enjoy the polar vortex!

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Feb 25.

Well played. Hell I'd go someplace warm just for dinner in order to escape this if I could. In fact flew to Tampa for dinner on Saturday. 24 hours on the ground but soaked up as much warmth as I could.

Reply by JonDerry, Feb 25.

Makes sense GdP...I liked the wine but could see how it's been a little "corporatized". When would you say the quality went down? I suppose I'll have to read more about the history. Anyway, I'm glad to finally get around to this after seeing the label in wi e shops all these years. 

I see Rare Wine still has a magnum of the '79 in stock. The '78 is quite a bit pricier.

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Feb 26.

After 1990 or so, not sure when really but by 1996 the wine was less interesting. Well made, but just a little anonymous.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Feb 26.

Hey, GdP, I offered to trade some of our warm weather for a little of NY's water, but you balked.  Now we're getting two soakers in a row, so our price has gone up.

I'd consider flying down for a Tig-fest in April if I'm not already somewhere else.  I'm probably going to LA in May (the 8th to 10th) but I will have the kids with me.

Reply by JonDerry, Feb 27.

How about pushing back to early July, in concert when GdP is in town. Is that a possibility for you guys? GregT, Fox, Mark ?

1 2 next

Continue to the end of the thread to reply
Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
64 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
57 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere