Wine Talk

Snooth User: MReff

2008 what areas to buy to lay down

Posted by MReff, Feb 6, 2009.

Now that we are in full recession mode, I ask what wine would you buy to laydown for 16 years or so. Reason being is my son was born this past year and I was thinking of buying a case to lay down for him and I to share (hope he likes wine).

I know that Spain did well as well as Portugal and some pockets of France. too bad my go to area Bordeaux did not do so well this past year, although I hope that some deals might poke their head through if the negoicents have a clue that is..

Replies

Reply by vinorojo, Feb 10, 2009.

Mreff,

First of all, Congrats!

Secondly, I think that the '08 vintage is still not far enough behind us to know what's really ageworthy. I would definitely recommend keeping your eyes on Napa and Northern Sonoma County wines. Good news is that you have time because no wines will be released until a couple years or so. You've got plenty of time for research.

Reply by MReff, Feb 10, 2009.

Oh I know, there is plenty of time. I was just thinking about what to look for and if anyone had any insight. Napa/Sonoma are fine but I would probably lean toward something worth while and not too broad. Such as Cab, something that would meaningful.

Reply by John Andrews, Feb 10, 2009.

I agree with vinorojo ... Napa is looking good and so is Alexander Valley ... Cabs are probably the best bet but some high end Pinot producers might be an option too.

Reply by MReff, Feb 10, 2009.

I would agree HondaJOhn, but I am not sure about the Pinot. I plan on giving a case to my son on his birthday in the future and I have yet to see a Pinot hold up for more than five years.

Reply by John Andrews, Feb 10, 2009.

Well ... Top end burgundies have been known to age incredibly long but you're right about California Pinots. The oldest I have seen / tasted with any intensity are Rochioli Pinots. I've had a 98 that was still going strong.

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Feb 11, 2009.

Rochioli just may be the excpetion that proves the rule!

Mike, like people have said, it's still too early to say but I think the Southern hone has a very ageworthy vintage coming and the wines from Piedmont, Tuscany and Germany all look to be very good. Alsace might be the Star of the vintage from what, admittedly little, I've heard. So I mixed case seems to be in order. Even if Bordeaux doesn't have a stellar year some should also be included, they do tend to age pretty well!

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
65 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
58 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
52 posts

Categories