Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

2008 Bordeaux Tasting w/ James Suckling

Posted by JonDerry, Jan 23, 2011.

Had a great time at this tasting at the Barber Hangar in Santa Monica yesterday, put on by Wally's.  James Suckling lead a great tasting with plenty of information and facts on Bordeaux and the wines we tasted, but what made it even better was that there was a representative of every Chateaux there to speak about their wine in the tasting, and this was almost always one of the Chateaux owners, whose family winery had been passed on to them.

2008 looked to be a rough year through a mild summer in Bordeaux, but they had a great september and october, allowing the grapes to fully ripen and come out with good, if not classic wines. It was also the first time in a long time that Chateau owners dropped their prices. The message from James and the Chateau reps were: 2008 is a great vintage for drinking and enjoying, not for trophy's and speculative buying 3 times around the world.

Three of the wines stood out to me in the tasting:

Chateau Troplong Mondot - St Emilion ($85.00), Aromatic nose of dark fruit and licorice. Dense and compact, with good bright fruit, licorice, and minerality. Has a dry lingering finish. Elegant. 90% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cabernet Franc.  Recommened between 2013-2023, but enjoyable now. 91+ points.

Chateau La Conseillante - Pomerol ($90.00), Beautiful sweet plum nose, almost intense - classic Pomerol. Soft and creamy with very faint spice in the background.  Very nice crushed mineral finish.  80% Merlot, 20% Cab Franc. 93 points.

Chateau Pavie Macquin - St. Emillion ($65.00), One of the Chateaux's that engages in more extraction than normal, this is a bigger style bordeaux without being overbearing. 92 points.

Others tasted: Ctx Canon La Gaffelierre, Ctx Langoa Barton, Ctx Malescot St. Exupery, Ctx Pichon Longueville,

Replies

Reply by panoskakaviatos, Jan 23, 2011.

Very much looking forward to tasting the 08s in NYC this coming Friday! WIll post notes on my website and videos. I have heard much good about La Conseillante, which was quite nice from barrel. Also heard good reports on Lynch Bages.

Reply by JonDerry, Jan 24, 2011.

Sounds great - would definitely be interested in checking out your notes.  Just a few weeks ago I had been searching for Bordeaux's to target and feel like I have a few good ones from different regions to keep an eye on. 

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
133 posts
680446 Snooth User: JonDerry
680446JonDerry
94 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
71 posts

Categories