Wine Talk

Snooth User: JonDerry

2006 Shafer Hillside

Posted by JonDerry, Jul 24, 2011.

I've oftened been caught absorbed in thought about my past experience with the 2002 Shafer Hillside Select, which for the last year and a half has been the wine i've been chasing...or, in other words, after tasting hundreds more wines I haven't found anything comparable. Though granted, i've only tasted a handful of wines in the $200+ price range. Unfortunately, this is also a former wine spectator wine of the year, so at the current price of $400.00 or so, it's not exactly easy to stock up.

So, at my birthday dinner this year I had the opportunity to try my 2nd career Hillside Select, this time a 2006.  I found it a bit more toward the new world in style. Fruit-focused, higher alcohol, etc.  Still, the fruit manages to be complex and very enjoyable, almost on its own.  I can also safely say, that reading Snooth over recent months helped me and the table get the most out of this wine.  Mid-way through I noticed the wine getting too hot in temperature, and as a result the alcohol was becoming more pronounced, so I had the waitress put it in a fridge in the back for 10-15 minutes.  When it came back, it was showing significantly better, and everyone (except me) was very pleasantly surprised. Of course, I pretty much knew for a fact it was going to be a lot better once it cooled down a bit. 

While the 02' Hillside Select still holds the highest place in wines i've drunk, and I have to believe flirts with perfection, the 06' was satisfying in its own right, even if a few or more points lower on balance. 

Replies

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Jul 25, 2011.

This is a great post. Love the way it captures so much of what surrounds wine. Glad you enjoyed your SHS #2. That 02 was the last one I've tried, quite a bottle of wine!

Reply by dmcker, Aug 1, 2011.

Ditto to Greg's comment. Though I've yet to have my first Shafer I was almost getting a feel for it....

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
62 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
59 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
55 posts

Categories