Wine Talk

Snooth User: Dionysus

2006 red wine to cellar for 18 years

Posted by Dionysus, Oct 30, 2008.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you has a recommendation for an under $50, 2006, red wine that could be stored in a cellar until 2024.

My daughter was born in 2006 and I would like to store a wine from that year for her 18h birthday.

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Oct 30, 2008.

Hi Dionysus,

Wel while the wines of 2006 have been made the true ageworthy ones have yet to be released though some Burgundy is on the market.

$50 will be tough but not impossible. My suggestion would be to wait for the 06 Barolo and Barbaresco to hit in 2010 and 2009 respectively. 2006 Bordeaux is on it's way over the next 8 months or so and there should be some candidates there though they were mostly bought with very expensive Euros and will sit around looking for buyers for a long time so waiting for a sale would be a good thing to do.

In fact the best sales generally take place in January, though this year has seen a series of sales as inventories have backed up the retailers. You aren't in a rush so my best advice is to wait until January 2010. By then you will have a very good selection to choose from and I can't see prices being any higher than they are now. In fact I would expect you might find some very attractive deals.

Just as an aside what kind of wine do you like?

Reply by Dionysus, Oct 30, 2008.

Thanks Greg! I'll wait for January 2010, maybe I'll post again then.

You say my price range it's constraining, what would be the lower price range for a very good wine?

What I like the most is trying new wines, so I'm open to varietals and regions. Here in Mexico is easier to find wines from Spanish speaking countries and France, so that's what I've tried the most. Lately I'm into Rioja and Bordeaux wines.

Reply by Dionysus, Nov 4, 2008.

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Nov 4, 2008.

Well it really depends on the wine region. I think $50 is about right for the lower range. Bumping up the price to, say, $65 will add many more options. One thing that I always look at when pricing wines is the fact that what you see is not what you pay. There is sales tax and/or shipping. Frequently a $50 is really a $55 wine or worse!

I think there will be possibilities for you to find Some Rioja, especially the wines of Lopez de Heredia. I'll be doing a write-up on their wines soon. Also worth looking into are the Tannats of Uraguay, they are better than ever and certainly endowed to last for 20 years.

This is my favorite

Some Argentine Malbec might qualify,

virtually all Bordeaux at that price level should make it out to 2024 without a problem.

Hope that's a good start!

Reply by Adam Levin, Nov 5, 2008.

I tasted a young Yacochuya Malbec a year ago and it was a very interesting wine but very awkward at such an age. It definitely needed a good number of years before it would come into its own.

Back to Categories

Popular Topics

Top Contributors This Month

324443 Snooth User: outthere
55 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
51 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
40 posts

Snooth Media Network