Wine Talk

Snooth User: Gantt Hickman

2006 Cabernets from California

Posted by Gantt Hickman, Jan 13, 2010.

I would like your opinions on the 2006 class of Cabernet from California.

I know that most are made to drink early, but with the latest WS article talking about how great that year was, I have to wonder if we should lay them down for a little bit.

A prime example is a Liberty School cab I thought about opening up last night. I looked it up on here and it said Drink Now - 2017. This being a value wine in my book. I thought I might need to go buy some more and lay them down as well.

Thoughts?

Gantt

Replies

Reply by VegasOenophile, Jan 13, 2010.

I already posted on this and yes, I think it's both. You can drink them now, but they should lie down for a few years nicely as well. My friend who worked out there, who's in the know, said to buy all the 2006 I could find from Napa and Sonoma. I don't know if the same applies to Paso Robles and Central/Coastal CA, but it's worth a try. I have had some great 2006 bottles, all drinking like much more than a $20 bottle!!

Reply by Gantt Hickman, Jan 13, 2010.

That is what I was thinking. Buy some and go with it. I am betting that there are some great steals out there right now. Ones that will turn into some real gems in the near to distant future. Even if they don't cost $40.00 - $100.00 a bottle.

Thanks for the input...
Gantt

Reply by VegasOenophile, Jan 13, 2010.

Here's the link Gantt. http://www.snooth.com/talk/topic/a-...

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Jan 13, 2010.

I have so many California cabs that were inexpensive yet have aged well. Now the wines are certainly made differently than they once were but, if I may generalize, the majority of Cabernets made in California improve for a modest period of time, hold on heir plateau for a modest period of time, and then tend to fade away, as opposed to dropping off a cliff as many cheap wines do. One of these wines is certainly different at age ten than it was at age 5 but whether or not it is as good, better or worse is a distinctly personal opinion. Find out on the other hand, is fun for just about everyone!

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
106 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
75 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
66 posts

Categories