Introduce Yourself

Snooth User: MReff

2006 Bordeaux

Posted by MReff, Jan 31, 2009.

I had the pleasure of sampling the '06 vintage of the UGC at the Waldorf Astoria last Monday evening.

Thoughts of the wine are that Margaux had the most structure while the wines from St Julien were most approachable. However keep in mind that this is going to be the vintage to drink earlier rather than later.

standouts for me were

Ch Cantemerle
Ch Ferriere
Ch LaLagune
Ch Troplong Mondot
Ch Pape Clement

Cheers

Mike

Replies

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Feb 2, 2009.

Thanks Mike, always good to get a varied view of an upcoming vintage. Hopefully prices will fall in line with the quality!

Reply by Rodolphe Boulanger, Feb 2, 2009.

I was at the same tasting and agree with Mike. 2006's wines are good and solid, but the prices are very high.

Partly because the dollar so weak when these were released on futures last spring and partly because of the relatively high prices (compared to say, 2004), not many 2006 wines were bought on futures by Americans. There won't be a large supply of 2006 top names available in the US.

I'd cite the following stars.
Rauzan-Segla
Haut-Bailly
Beau-Sejour Becot

I also thought La Lagune was stellar for its price level.

Did you get a chance to try the Pontet-Canet 2005? Someone goofed and sent the wrong vintage. It was a stunner.

Reply by MReff, Feb 2, 2009.

Did not try the '05. I have a case of it in "sleep" mode. Even the '06 was absent as well. Forgot about the La Lagune. That one was also stunning

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Feb 3, 2009.

The 05 Pontet Canet is pretty serious juice. Look out Mouton, as so many folks have been saying. I was going to buy some but then went on buying hiatus. I might take a look around and see if there are any bottles still laying about at a reasonable price. Or I can just drink Mike's!

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
56 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
56 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
49 posts

Categories