Wine Talk

Snooth User: Daniel Petroski

2005 Napa Cabernet Blind Tasting

Posted by Daniel Petroski, Mar 14, 2009.

Last week we had a Napa Valley comparative tasting at the winery. The wines were tasted blind. I posted my notes for the following 2005 Cabernets on this site: Araujo, Bond Vecina, Corison, Duckhorn Monitor Ledge, Hourglass, Joseph Phelps Backus, Larkmead, Realm Dr. Crane, Spottswoode and Vineyard 29. A good representation of Napa Valley appellations and range of prices - from $50 to $300/bottle with the average around $150. Interestingly enough, a 2005 Bordeaux was going to be added to the mix as a ringer, but the bottle was corked. It was a very good tasting and I found the wines to be completely representative of the vintage - herbaceous and a bit on the green side with medium body mid-palates of red and black fruit and soft, elegant tannins. The best Bordeaux style vintage in Napa Valley in years. We prepped our palates with a 2005 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc which one person at the tasting described as "buttered onions cooking." Not necessarily what I thought, but see my review on the wine's page. Enjoy. (Gambero Rosso tasting notes coming soon....)

Replies

Reply by Philip James, Mar 17, 2009.

Excellent - thanks Dan. Here's a link to Dan's wines: http://www.snooth.com/my-wines/danp...

I see you had the Backus - which I tried recently too. Also, I see the Smith Haut Lafite white - which my parents bought me a couple of bottles of after they visited the winery - I really liked that wine too.

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
133 posts
680446 Snooth User: JonDerry
680446JonDerry
93 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
71 posts

Categories