Wine Talk

Snooth User: napagirl68

2005 Ch. Dassault St Emilion.. UPDATE

Posted by napagirl68, Feb 25, 2011.

As per the prior conversations I have initiated re: St Emiliion "mustiness"... well...I have to chalk that up to a bad bottle

I just opened my SECOND 2005 Dassault St Emilion.  It was FANTASTIC.  In comparing with a CA cab, I would say, it opened with such an earthiness, some coffee, a TAD, TAD bit of green pepper, and finished nicely, although differently than CA cabs.  So the difference to me, mainly, is in the finish.  A CA cab finishes in a deep, lush, fruit or oak... not overwhelming, but definitely present.   This bordeaux finishes slowly... fading out from original tastes... into an earthy finish..  abruptly finishing very clean.

I like this wine... Love this wine.  My first bottle must have been corked, in retrospect.

1 2 next

Replies

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Feb 25, 2011.

NG - Bloody Corks no further comment needed, although it may have been some Brett contamination in a particular batch [only slight chance]

My local supplier thinks he can get me some so hopefully I will be able to compare notes

I might actually try a 2005 Chateau Monbousquet St Emilion tonight, will let you know how it goes

Reply by napagirl68, Feb 25, 2011.

xoxo Sh!

Happy tasting!

Reply by JonDerry, Feb 25, 2011.

NG: Glad you gave it a 2nd try, love that St. Emilion coffee/milk chocolate flavor.

SH: Just saw an 05' Monbousquet at the wine shop I was at tonight and considered a buy, but stopped short.  Was on the hunt for $15-$40 buys, and walked out with the following:

Luberri Vineyards Rioja Biga - 2006 ($16.99)

Barrel 27 Head Honcho Syrah - 2007 ($25.99)

Jaffurs Petite Syrah (Thompson Vineyard) - 2009 ($29.99)

Jaffurs Syrah Verna's Vineyard - 2007 ($40.00)

BTW... had the rest of that Dassault a while ago.  VERY NICE>  Amazing.  recommend highly!

Sh, can I just send you a bottle? Do I have to declare it? how does that work?  I know we've discussed before, but you MUST taste this wine:-)

Reply by Lucha Vino, Feb 25, 2011.

NG - is this the correct wine?  It sounds like something I would like to try!

yes, vellovino.

Reply by duncan 906, Feb 26, 2011.

St Emillion was my father's favouite wine and an apellatin I also enjoy.Lke the majority of Right Bank Clarets,most of them,though not all,are about 75%merlot and the rest cabernet franc or cabernet sauvignoin.Last year I had the pleasure of drinking two,a 1998 Chateau Destieux Berger and a 2004 Chateau Guillotin,both of which I reviewed for Snooth

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Feb 27, 2011.

Now I did get to try the 05 Monbousquet Rouge on Friday Evening.

To set the scene, we were having a ver yinformal Barbeque at one of my Partners house and decided that it was a good night to drink wine and the food was there to satisfy hunger.  Must admit it was good, platter of nibbles, some toast with Tomato, garlic, buffalo mozzarella, drizzled with Garlic and then some steaks, chips and salad.

It was a beautiful night, no wind and still 25C at 11pm, so we were outside.

Mandatory beer to cleanse away the coffee and other bad tastes and the a cold glass of Mumm NV, very nice start to the evening.

We then had a glass of 06 Jacobs Creek Steingarten Eden Valley Riesling [this is JC's top riesling and regularly gets rated in the 92-95 range]  Stelvin Cap keeps the wine fresh and it is just on its journey from from Young to mature riesling.

Then onto a 98 Peter Lehmann Stonewall Shiraz, typical Barossa Shiraz from an excellent vintage, is ageing particularly well and looks like at least another 5-10 years of life.

The Monbousquet - decanted it for 2 hours, no cork issues [phew!!].

The wine was intensely rich in both bouquet and flavour.  It was like concentrated blackberry but a very tight young wine which clearly is going toage for a long time.  I have to say though it was still an excellent drink in its youth and its evolution in the glass/decanter over an hour or so was worth concentrating on.  There was very little evidence of the mustiness associated with some St Em's and I was very impressed with the wine.  It is nothing like anything we make here so the experience was both newish and very pleasant.

Definitely going to leave my other bottle for at least 5 more years maybe longer if I can resist.

On the Ch Dass front still hopeful I can get some locally keep you posted

Reply by JonDerry, Feb 27, 2011.

Sounds like a very nice evening SH, glad the Monbousquet did not disappoint.

NG, i'd be happy to give the Dassault a shot, I could send something back your way and since we're both in CA the post shouldn't be too bad : )

Reply by duncan 906, Feb 28, 2011.

25 degrees at 11pm! I am jealous.It is cold and wet here in London.Glad you enjoyed your St Emillion.I have never experienced mustiness with St Emillions

Reply by dmcker, Feb 28, 2011.

Monbousquet I almost always find to be a reliable deliverer, and in the current market fairly decent QPR....

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Feb 28, 2011.

Yes, it has certainly got my attention

Reply by hhotdog, Mar 2, 2011.
Edited Mar 2, 2011

all i know is after the wine dinner w/GDP an company i can't wait to stock up and hold as many bordeaux's as i can discipline myself to hold on to!!!  time seems to be french wine's best friend!  

i have a few  Ch. Lanessan Haut-Medoc 2005.  will give one a try and hold the other two if i can! any idea if they are any good?  do not know much on the frenchies sooo willing to learn. 

Reply by napagirl68, Mar 2, 2011.

Well, I just bought a case of this (2005 dassault).  It is a beautiful thing... a sealed wooden case, never exposed to air other than in France :-)

I plan to drink one a year.  See how it evolves.  And as a French wine novice, I have learned that this region produces wine that is typically 65-75% Merlot!  Can you believe I am drinking Merlot???   I guess I just hate California Merlot (have RARELY had one I even slightly liked).

Reply by dmcker, Mar 2, 2011.

So NG, you don't even like Pahlmeyer merlots from the '90s?

Reply by napagirl68, Mar 3, 2011.

Haven't had, dmcker

Reply by dmcker, Mar 3, 2011.

Hunt them out. Occasionally BP and Benchmark have some on offer.

Reply by hhotdog, Mar 4, 2011.

it's another animal NG...i'm with you on merlot and i have become a bit of a believer with the frenchies!  good luck with them girl!

Reply by napagirl68, Mar 4, 2011.

Thanks hhotdog!  Just opened one to ck for TCA.. was young but wonderful....  just like my men ;-) ;-) 

LOL!  (kidding)

Reply by JonDerry, Mar 4, 2011.

I have something against the Aura of Pahlmeyer, almost like the bad feeling I get when stepping inside a Ruth's Chris...nothing against the product really, just a bias against the company.

1 2 next

Continue to the end of the thread to reply
Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
93 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
74 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler