Wine Talk

Snooth User: napagirl68

2005 Ch. Dassault St Emilion.. anyone?

Posted by napagirl68, Feb 9, 2011.

Was curious about this one... limited user reviews here... widely varying on CT.  Anyone tasted? Impressions?

Replies

Reply by JonDerry, Feb 9, 2011.

Looks like a solid St. Emilion at that price point.  Were you looking to pick up some wines from this region?

Ctx Faugeres, Berliquet, Roy Valentin, and Fleur Cardinale are some others to look into at a similar price.  Would look at 05' or 08' vintages.

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Feb 9, 2011.

Being an 05 should be OK, will try and locate it here - but given St Em quantities probably going to be a challenge

Reply by napagirl68, Feb 9, 2011.

can get it for usd35  good deal?

Reply by napagirl68, Feb 9, 2011.

Thanks, Jon, for the other recommendations!  I will ck them out.

Reply by Girl Drink Drunk, Feb 10, 2011.

Great vintage, but I don't know the producer.

Reply by hhotdog, Feb 10, 2011.

will check it out at my friends place in faitfield,ct.. it's called Harry's wine and liquor.  great selection and they seem very knowledgeable. they've been there for years.  i need to get out that way more often!!

i looked up some info on it and the reviews seem pretty good.  i think parker gave it a 90 and WS a 92? will get back to you soon.

Reply by hhotdog, Feb 10, 2011.

trying to give the frenchies a go again...love to have an excuse to try something new!! thanks NG!

Reply by napagirl68, Feb 11, 2011.

Hey hhotdog,

I bought it and tasted it today.  According to WS (I think), it was said that it was one of only a few Bordeauxs that could drink now, although it can lie down for 15more years easily.

Being a French wine novice, I will have to rely a bit on others to help me with what I tasted...   The nose was terrific... coffee, chocolate and dark violets.  Upon tasting, I picked up blackberry, chocolate, coffee, and sharper tannins (I think) than I am used to in California Cabs.  But I also picked up something else that I do not know how to describe:  it is a flavor or smell (hard to discern) that has an essence of TCA, but NOT really TCA.  I have seen it discussed before, but cannot remember what it is.  This wine was in NO way tainted... it is a flavor/smell, maybe the oak?  that just BEGINS like TCA.  Not terrible, just a bit distracting.  Maybe GDD can comment? 

I do tend to be sensitive to certain bitter flavors... I cannot consume pine nuts, as my taste buds are ruined for weeks...I cannot tolerate ANY champagne with ANY brie (even highest quality of both).  They combine to create a bitter, soapy taste in my mouth that I can only equate to "bubbles" that you blew as a child (yes that wand would sometimes touch the lips).... sigh.. maybe it is just me.

My thoughts were that this wine could benefit from lying down for a few more years, but very good.  Like most French wines, as I understand, a definite food wine.  It tasted great with a ribeye I cooked tonite...

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Feb 11, 2011.

NG

Sometimes the French wines have a real dank/musty smell, I think it has a bit to do with winemaking techniques of some of the smaller producers [which characterises St Emillon] They make around 6,000 cases.  GDP/GregT or GDD might have a more precise explanation but I think their finishing process can be a bit rustic and it leaves this somewhat un[pleasant first smell, which seems to dissipate  with decanting.

Love the idea of Rib Eye with it, my mouth is watering, but none tonight we are off to Thai after drinks at my daughters school

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Feb 11, 2011.

Which reminds me leess than an hour until a friday night after work beer.

Time to log off

Thanks, SH..  good explanation.  I think I am a supertaster of bitter and must!

BTW- I decanted for 1.5hr before tasting.  I have learned my lessons with old world wines!

Reply by Richard Foxall, Feb 11, 2011.

NG: Do you ever get that soapy taste from green peppers or cilantro?  There's actually a genetic component to that.  Also, was the TCA-ish thing more of a smell, or also a taste?  Could it have been something in the headspace of the bottle?

Final questions:  did you find that bottle at our local discounter? ;-) Do I need to make some calls to get a few?

Reply by dmcker, Feb 11, 2011.

I've always associated it with barnyard-ish odors and taste sensations. Assume it's a winemaking issue, as discussed above, but have wondered if it's also something to do with 'terroir', because though I've encountered it thousands of times over the years, the greatest proportion by far has come from France, and even more Bordeaux than Burgundy or the south.

dmcker- I kinda agree with the terroir idea.  Other bordeaux's I have tasted had an element of this taste/smell.

foxall- sent you a pm.  And yes, green peppers do taste a bit soapy to me when they are raw.  I like them cooked tho.

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Feb 13, 2011.

Terroir may have a part to play, but I think issues such as winery practices, brettanomyces in barrels, filtration etc are more significant factors.

The brett issue is an interesting one as it is seen in Australia as a failure in winery management and is considered to be negative component in final wine outcome.  However I have heard a number of "expert" writers defend these charactersitics in old world wines as adding complexity and is why old world is better than new world.

Anyway Wiki gives a good technical overview and is worth a look

An exert from Wiki gives a quick indication of the wine compounds that can be impacted by brett

"The compounds responsible contributing certain sensory characters to wine are;

These compounds can impart completely different sensory properties to a wine when they are present in different ratios."

NG - this might give you a lead into exercising your chemical genius to explain what you found.

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Feb 13, 2011.

Back on the Dassault - it is imported here so I am tracking the supplier down to try and get some

Reply by dmcker, Feb 13, 2011.

Frankly I like the Brett in, say, a 1990 Beaucastel....

Reply by hhotdog, Feb 13, 2011.

NG i have had the same expirience with a rioja...not really off-putting yet i kinda enjoyed the musty "stank" as well?  i have had several bottles of this rioja and the same every time.  with more time open it tends to become less in front.  did you get the same with the Bordeaux? 

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
110 posts
680446 Snooth User: JonDerry
680446JonDerry
85 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
68 posts

Categories