Wine Talk

Snooth User: dschur

2005 Ch. Beaumont - recommendations for others?

Posted by dschur, Sep 3, 2008.

I have been taking a drinking tour of K&L's 2005 Bordeaux section, trying to find some good value options to add to the cellar collection. I have already blown the top-end (for me) with Ch. Lagrange, Ch. Pontet-Canet and Ducru-Beaucailou (sp?). I mention these to give some idea of what I like. Generally unimpressed with most St. Emillion, but I got some Sansonnet since I am willing to give it a chance.

The best of the $20 ballpark I have found so far is the Ch. Beaumont mentioned in the title. I find it has plenty of body, and is even drinking fine now with enough air. Since the tanins are very soft, and there is not much acidity, does this wine actually have significant cellaring potential? I am a bit of a neophyte at buying wine for the future, I have usually bought for the now :-)

What else would you recommend I try? I have already tried the following with mixed results.

Ch. Puynormand - OK. Not too much body. Tanins are heavy so age potential. Drank better on day 2, but overall not compelling compared to the Beaumont. At least provides hope that there are St Emillions I might like.

Ch. de Villegeorge - Very nice. Before the Beaumont it was my fave.Seems to have a bit more tanin and acidity. Does this mean it has more cellaring potential?

Clos de Menuts - Why I usually don't like St Emillion. Watery, no body.

Replies

Reply by mscho59, Sep 17, 2008.

Matt here. i am new to the concept of storing wine. my local shop suggested chateau d'aurilhac 2005 haut medoc. reviews look good. sounds like it will cellar well. i picked up a case. can;t say what it actually tastes like as i plan to wait 5-7 yrs! hope i live that long

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
130 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
120 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
112 posts

Categories