Wine Talk

Snooth User: napagirl68

2004 Domaine La Roquète Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Posted by napagirl68, Dec 23, 2010.

Any input?  It's on sale at KL, and my knowledge of French wines is still evolving.  But I am a huge Grenache fan, and this one is 70% grenache....

Replies

Reply by JonDerry, Dec 23, 2010.

Averaging about 90 points on cellartracker with 5 reviews...looks like a good buy at around $25 plus or minus.

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=176480

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Dec 23, 2010.

I'm not familiar with the wine, but 2004 is an interesting vintage in the Southern Rhone, passed over by those who seek opulence and power, and hella alcohol.

I've like the wines I've had from 04, elegant, fresh, nice purity. Price is attractive.

Dale W is a friend, and a self-professed easy grader but pretty accurate in his assesmsnts.

Reply by napagirl68, Dec 23, 2010.

THANK YOU GDP!  Thanks for the info on Dale... will look more closely at his assessments.

And thanks for the cellartracker info, JonDerry.   Think I will give it a try.

Was just there in Redwood City last Monday... too bad I didn't know about it then!!!

Reply by Richard Foxall, Dec 24, 2010.

Oh, man, I feel bad! I just got this at CostPlus for $15 and I didn't tell you.  We are drinking it with Xmas eve dinner.  I thought I posted a thread--drink now or lay down--and the answer was "drink now."

NG, you can read tasting notes on CT without registering.  I find that most folks give lower points than the critics--snobbery?--but you can adjust.  Anything over 88 is doing fine.  This one did better.  I bought it without much regard because, at $15, it was between a standard CdR and a CdR Villages, so how badly could I go wrong?  I'll post my notes tomorrow.

Y'know, the $10 Jade Mountain La Provencale at K&L is a nice deal, too.  Not worth $20, probably, but a really nice daily drinker for the Rhone fan.  Like an elevated CdR--it outdrank a couple CdR Villages at my house last year when we did a tasting.

Reply by Richard Foxall, Dec 25, 2010.

Had it last night and it was very, very good.

Reply by JonDerry, Dec 25, 2010.

I actually find the ratings on CT much more accurate than the critics, but obviously the more ratings the better.  It's nice that they also show the "median" instead of just the average "mean", that way any ridiculous high or low scores don't have much of an effect.

Would actually equate CT scores to how S. Tanzier scores, typically on the low end, but still representative.  I like to see at least an 89-90 on CT to be interested or validate an interest in a wine.

Reply by gregt, Dec 25, 2010.

Napagirl - I haven't had that vintage but did have the 2003 and probably still have a couple bottles.  It was pretty inexpensive when I got them - I think they were well south of $20 but the prices have crept up.  Keeping in mind that was a super warm year, the wine was pretty ripe - don't remember off the top what the alc levels were, but I remember finding it a bit hot.  Lots of really ripe fruit too and it didn't have the peppery/spicy quality that I like in some of the Garnacha-based CdRs.  I didn't buy more. 

But for educational purposes, it's totally worth a committment! It's not an awful wine by any means and it gives you a decent idea of a Garnacha blend from the Rhone.  Go for it. 

Cellar Tracker is an excellent program and Eric is a borderline genius for inventing it.  That said, I don't pay any attention at all to the reviews for a wine.  Someone reads that Parker or WS or Decanter scored a wine 92 points, runs out and buys it, and then posts about how it's really a great wine and maybe worth somewhere between 91 and 93 points.  Even better, someone's been drinking wine for maybe 3 years and opines that the wine has a life ahead of maybe 10 years and definitely needs another five to be ready to drink.  And they know this how?  Because they read it somewhere?  So in terms of being more accurate than "the critics" whoever the latter may be, well, it's the same stuff recycled.

I'm sorry, but the signal to noise ratio is skewed too far in favor of the latter. 

I also agree w Greg about the 2004 vintage in the south Rhone tho.  It's an unsung hero of a vintage.

Reply by napagirl68, Dec 28, 2010.

I found this wine at World Market and bought 2 @ $19.99. 

I opened one last night... had it alone at first, then with food.  I found it to be ok... not bad by any means, but nothing I would buy again.  Agree with Greg T- lots of fruit, and lacks (for lack of better terms)- depth.  Not much spice or pepper here, if that's something you like in a Rhone.  Also did not pick up any earthiness (even slight).  But a decent, fruity wine.. a bit big on the sugar for my palate- perhaps that's an effect of the fruit coming through so strongly.

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
65 posts
125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
61 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
61 posts

Categories