Wine Talk

Snooth User: Daveykiwi

2000 Chateauneuf Du Pape Domaine La Boutiniere Grande Reserve

Posted by Daveykiwi, Nov 11, 2010.

Purchased a bottle of this years ago when visiting France.  No idea when to drink it... Any help would be appreiciated! 

Thanks

Jill from NZ

Replies

Reply by John Norton, Feb 13, 2011.

Hugh Johnsons Annual wine book for 2010 for southern Rhone says for the 2000 " Tasty open wines, led by fruit . Not a long lived year, best reds are singing now" (So if you hear a strange noise from your wine store you now know what it is!!)

AS I type this I am tasting/drinking a 2007 Domaine la Boutinere Chateauneuf which seems pretty good. So make what you will of that. I certainly see no reason to keep the remaining bottles too long.

My wifes cousin has a house in NZ S island, Akaroa which looks lovely. We might go sometime. 

Good tasting  Jill from John Norton, North Norfolk UK

Reply by dmcker, Feb 13, 2011.

Yeah, well 2007 was a huge year in the Rhone, wasn't it? Pretty massive fruit all around, though it'll be interesting to see how they age....

No need to keep the 2000 around another 11 years. Choose a good occasion, pop the cork and enjoy.

Reply by spotty007, Feb 13, 2011.

Personally, I would not rush it. Any Chateauneuf should be just fine even after 12-15 years.

Reply by dmcker, Feb 13, 2011.

Definitely depends on the vintage, maker, and above all, storage conditions...

Reply by Richard Foxall, Feb 13, 2011.

I am no expert on CdP, but I have a bit cellared and have a bit of an interest in the appellations of the Rhone. I have read that the window for CdPs generally is not a whole lot more than 11 years--like, 6-12 or 15.  The better ones can go longer, but Parker is on record as saying the sweetspot is 5-6 years for most, then a re-emergence at 10-12. Most "hang on" but rarely improve after that. Key in all this is the grenache content, which lacks the polyphenols for longer aging, says RP. 9More syrah, more ageability.) At 11 years in a so-so vintage, I think I side with dmcker.  Even though it could be fine for another few years, it's unlikely to be better, so why chance that it could get worse? spotty007 could be right, but aging the wine to age it at this point would not be my call. Reward your patience next time you have a meal that it would go well with, or have a minor occasion to celebrate.

Reply by dirkwdeyoung, Feb 13, 2011.

Drink it!!

Reply by spotty007, Feb 14, 2011.

The way I do it.

Usually, I buy a small case of CdP, 6 bottles, store it. According to recommendation drink one bottle. If it tastes to my liking, I drink them all.

In case I have any reservations I keep it for another year or so.

Back to Categories

Popular Topics

Top Contributors This Month

1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
12 posts
89564 Snooth User: GregT
89564GregT
4 posts
357808 Snooth User: vin0vin0
357808vin0vin0
4 posts