Wine Talk

Snooth User: Eric Guido

1999 Barolo and Barbaresco Tasting

Posted by Eric Guido, Jul 17, 2012.

Last week our tasting group got together to taste through a lineup of 1999 Barolo and Barbaresco.  For me, this was the first time tasting a large group of '99s at one time.  

1999 has always been a hard vintage for me to understand.  I bought them so that I'd have the vintage in my cellar to taste down the road.  I never had a chance to taste them on release (I wasn't even buying wine when they were released).  What's more, over the last few years, each time I tasted a '99 they were packed with potential but locked down by tannin, essentially closed for business.

Then about three months ago, after hearing from more than a few trusted palates (some from this forum), I decided to open a '99 Aldo Conterno Colonnello, and I was floored.  What a beautiful wine.

It was with this in mind that I put it out there to the group, to taste 1999 Barolo and Barbaresco.

I just posted my notes as a list on Snooth here: 1999 Barolo and Barbaresco Retrospective
Also on my blog, with a little more of a preface here: 1999 Barolo and Barbaresco: Right on Track

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on 1999 Barolo and Barbaresco as well.

Thanks

Replies

Reply by Anna Savino, Jul 18, 2012.

WHAT A LINEUP!  now I am going to go see if I have any '99s in my cellar! :) thanks for the insight!

Reply by Eric Guido, Jul 25, 2012.

I wish I had more in the cellar.  Each time I write one of these retrospectives I'm tempted to go out and buy the wines I liked best, which can get very expensive.  Plus, having to worry about how the storage of the wine was since it arrived here in the states.  However, they really are great wines that can still be purchased for reasonable prices (especially compared to the new releases). 

I was wondering how pricing is on current vintages in Piedmont.  With the big glut of un-purchased Barolo, is there discounting going on, or is everyone just holding their stocks in hope of better days to come?

Reply by Anna Savino, Jul 25, 2012.

In my opinion, the prices are still pretty high so they are probably hoping of better days to come! Although I heard the 2008 is already going to be great to drink so could be a good buy young! I will let you know if I come across any good discount opps...

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
113 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
66 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
62 posts

Categories