Wine Talk

Snooth User: MReff

1983 Bordeaux and an old Barolo

Posted by MReff, Jan 16, 2011.

Great time last night at La Fonda Del Sol, except for the salty Paella the food was decent and the price was even better.

Sparkling set us straight with the Cedric Bouchard La Parcelle followed by a 2001 Marc Colin Puligny Montracet Garenne.  The white Burgundy was decent and pleasant but soon faded in the glass after only about 15 minutes or so.  Next up was a Schramsburg Rose which was simple but nice.

Onto the 1983 Bordeaux reds,   The Ch Le Gay, had a depressed cork and after comparing labels with the Trotanoy, I had a feeling that it was not going to hold up.  The cork completely fell apart and even though it had a dark garnet color, it was acidic and fell apart soon thereafter.  This is the problem when purchasing one bottle at an online auction.

The Lynch Bages was up next and had some nice fruit and great color with a medium finish that was nice.  The Pichon Lalande entered the fray, and totally blew me away.  It had the funk and green pepper nose with a nice medium to long finish, my WOTN.  The Trotanoy followed which was just as stellar as the PL.  Finally the Talbot was excellent as well.  We were pleasantly surprised with the 1983 Bruno Giacosa Vallero Barolo which offered some nice comparisons to the bordeaux that we had just drank, a true treat.

Dessert was a 1983 Rieussac, which had a nice amber color and was perfect to end things with.

Bravo

Replies

Reply by dmcker, Jan 16, 2011.

Sounds like a great night, and I can almost taste the aged Bordeaux tannins reading your notes. Had an '83 Mouton last month that was doing very well, indeed.

Reply by gregt, Jan 16, 2011.

WTF - this was last night?  You came down to the city?

Reply by Gregory Dal Piaz, Jan 17, 2011.

GregT, where were you?

Notes at home but it was a fine evening. Off the top of my head the Le gay was fully mature and quite teritiary, the Lynch bages was classic old school Paulliac, a bit rustic, smelled of shit, but fresh, pure and baalnced in the mouth. The Pichon lalande was more opulent, more fruit driven, softer with more depth and richness, but it lacked some of the snap of the L-B.

The Trotonoy was like the L-B in it's freshness but it was cleaner, a very youthful bottle subtle and silky. The Talbot, another fresh bottle was almost modern in it's kind of brash, fruit forward style. Still very Bordeaux but to me a bit less comlexity in exchange for a bit more oomph!

All in all a very nice way to pass an evening. Fun to take a look at a less than acclaimed vintage and think how much one might prefer these wines to say, something from 2003.

Maybe we should test that out. 2003 Bordeaux dinner anyone?

Reply by dmcker, Jan 17, 2011.

'83 has always been a good-value vintage to me, with plenty of surprising joys....

Reply by Stephen Harvey, Jan 17, 2011.

GregDP

Sounds like a good idea, why don't we try and replicate it in different parts of the world - not precisely the same time but say the same weekend.  Bordeaux wines are reasonably accessible in this part of the world

D

Unfortunately not much 83 Bordeaux experience for me except an 83 d'Yquem which was sublime!

Reply by MReff, Jan 18, 2011.

Greg T

I do venture south of Yonkers you know.  This was also posted on three different boards for many months. 

Mike

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
115 posts
1498622 Snooth User: Really Big Al
1498622Really Big Al
61 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
60 posts