Wine Talk

Snooth User: swordman

1969 PETRVS

Posted by swordman, Jan 11, 2010.

I have recently been given a btl of 1969 Petrvs Pomerol Chateau for my new found love of wine.
I know it’s a bit out of my league but can anyone shed some information on best year to open,
history, storage, or value?

Any help is very much appreciated,
Swordman

Replies

Reply by guymandude, Jan 11, 2010.

Quick ,send it to me, I'll let you know:)

Reply by dmcker, Jan 11, 2010.

Do you know how it's been stored all this while?

Reply by zufrieden, Jan 11, 2010.

The general consensus on the 1969 vintage is that it was more or less ruined by excessive September rain. Most wines were not considered that age-worthy or fine and so most have been already consumed. I suggest you look a bit more closely at some 1969 tasting notes for this revered property - preferably from the last 3 or 4 years. You should be able to find some notes from a reputable wine writer, MW or both. You may have to search high and low as most notes from that far back tend to be linked with the best vintages.

Assuming proper storage over the last 40 years, this Pétrus should still be sound, but it would be my inclination to open it soon.

Reply by swordman, Jan 11, 2010.

My Father retired from his position in a very nice French restaurant in New York City, They gave him a few differant bottles as a retirement gift a few years ago. He has recently passed and I inherited this one. So I guess it’s been in the restaurant for most of its life and in my father’s home wine cellar for the last few years.

Reply by zufrieden, Jan 11, 2010.

That's a great little story - with a nice afterthought by the restaurant on your father's retirement. Maybe you should find a special moment and drink to his memory; I'm pretty sure luck will hold and the wine will be a pleasure!

'63, '65, '68, '69, '72, '74 and '77 are generally considered the worst vintages in Bordeaux in the past half century. '69 followed on '68 (and not so long after two miserable vintages in '63 and '65), so people were practiced in their denigration by then. '70 was a great vintage that made everybody scream 'party party', so '69 and the others were quickly forgotten and generally relegated to the bargain bins.

That being said, one of the marks of a great chateau is its ability to make good wines in bad years. And Petrus is certainly a great chateau, though its reputation in the '60s wasn't as olympian as it is now. I haven't had that particular vintage, but would be interested in hearing how it turns out. Assuming the storage at the restaurant and before was good, you likely have a very interesting bottle on your hands. Take your time with it. I wouldn't decant, but stand it upright for four or five days ahead of its opening. Be careful with the cork when you do open. And pour gently so as not to stir whatever sediment. Whether you have it with food or not is up to you, but personally I'd just have it with a some brie, sweet butter and a baquette, with maybe one or two other bites of olive, calves liver pate or such. And I'd share it with someone who I knew would also appreciate it....

Sorry, forgot to mention that, as Zufrieden rightly says, you should drink it sooner rather than later....

Reply by swordman, Jan 12, 2010.

Thank you Dmcker and Zufrieden...very insightful! I will do some more research and open at the right time. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Any other comments are appreciated,
Swordman

Reply by dirkwdeyoung, Jan 12, 2010.

Such wines, when lucky that they have survived are like drinking jewelry. I suggest a leg of lamb, gratin dauphinois and flageolets to accompany this and save the bottle with a note to your father on the date that you sacrificed it. cheers, Dirk

Reply by dmcker, Jan 12, 2010.

Excellent menu, dirk. My choice of only nibblies and bread was because I feared the wine might be a bit fragile by this time and I was concerned the food might take center stage if consumed with a proper meal...

Reply by dirkwdeyoung, Jan 13, 2010.

But actually, if you think about it, none of these items are overpowering, use only salt, pepper and a little thyme on the lamb, no garlic!!!

Reply by IKAL 1150, Jan 15, 2010.

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=198061

Reply by IKAL 1150, Jan 15, 2010.

Sorry, that's the wrong link, couldn't delete it, but I did see notes for the 1970 Petrus there.

Back to Categories

Top Contributors This Month

125836 Snooth User: dmcker
125836dmcker
62 posts
324443 Snooth User: outthere
324443outthere
59 posts
847804 Snooth User: EMark
847804EMark
56 posts

Categories